Help me Understand these prices!!

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now im not posting this to bash anyone or get in any arguments. I'm solely posting this to understand why bounce mushrooms cost so much. I personally am not educated in the fungi field to understand it so if someone can tell me whats up so I could better my knowledge that would be great!.

Bouce.jpg

Bounce 2.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's as simple as supply and demand. If you have the "whatever is hot now" Coral, shrooms, whatever, it's a sellers market.
Once the market becomes flooded, or more often, the new "in" thing changes, prices come down.

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the supply and demand but why does one piece cost 1500$ or more. Do they grow slow?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, to a point. Most often when you see a Bounce shrooms, you are buying a fingernail or smaller shroom. The one pictured is a "Mother" and probably quite large. Hence the price.
One of the local to me Coral sellers has a HUGE Bounce that I personally saw him turn down 10K for.
Think of it in a similar way, if you are a Coral seller, have the latest and greatest whiz bang 50 color Coral and could get $500 for a 1" Frag, why on earth would you sell the colony for the same price? You, and nobody else would either.....

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I am in an analogy kind of mood, how about this. A Toyota Camry is a car. So is a Bugatti Veyron. Should they be the same price? Absolutely not. Limited supply, definitely the "it" factor, and a price to match..

OP
OP
Mr.Rocc

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I am in an analogy kind of mood, how about this. A Toyota Camry is a car. So is a Bugatti Veyron. Should they be the same price? Absolutely not. Limited supply, definitely the "it" factor, and a price to match..
Bugatti takes way longer to make and is not mass produced. Reproducing this vehicle cost more as well... Lol just playing devil's advocate

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "green stag" or similar is very common. A Bounce, Homewrecker, Walt Disney etc aren't. Therefore command a much higher price.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I definitely agree with the above explanations. Ultimately, sellers will sell for what buyers will pay, and currently bounce mushrooms are the rage. But that will not last forever.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree with the above explanations. Ultimately, sellers will sell for what buyers will pay, and currently bounce mushrooms are the rage. But that will not last forever.

No it won't, but I'm still amazed it has been going for what, 5 years now? Look at the purple monster SPS. It has been around for 10+ years and it is still $200 for a tiny frag. At the time I would have bet good money that they would be in the $25 to $50 range now. The economics of the hobby does fascinate me. I've been in it since the late 80's and if these types of comparable prices had been around then I don't know if it would have survived. Purple tangs were $200 back then and I didn't know anyone that owned one because of the "exotic" price. Now no one blinks an eye at that kind of price.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why bounce mushrooms cost so much

Because people will pay it. Sounds as if perhaps you won't... I _know_ I won't, but as long as there are people around who will, well, that's where the prices will stay. When prices exploded on AR style rifles, I quit buying them. I know several people who paid $3000+ for what was essentially a $700 rifle. Guess what... Today, it's worth $700. Fear was driving that bubble. In the reefing community, it's a sliding bubble, with the latest, greatest, coolest, brightest new corals going through the roof. Wait a while. You can pick up superman Montipora cheap now. Why? It's a Montipora! Once a few hundred high dollar frags had some time to grow into colonies, supply exceeded demand, and the price took a dive. Same will happen with these mushrooms. Either (A) people won't buy them at outrageous prices, and the price will come down, or (B) they'll grow, reproduce, get fragged enough to become common, and the price will come down.

The old adage 'nothing good in this hobby happens fast' applies all across the board!

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because there are a few types of people out there :
1) Some people have stupid money.
2) Some people are simple minded and have the need to impress others.
3) Some people take advantage of others.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the price on the WWC Bounce selling quickly but not the other shroom. After having 5 wwc bounces melting on my slowly Im done with them. You could not pay me to take another one.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am one that will not pay more than $60 for any coral. Most of mine were $10-20 frags. Some are very colorful and may not grow super fast and some grow like weeds. You can get some nice frags if you don't care about the name. I have purchased some frag packs 10 for $100 and 10 for $200 no name on the bags or the list. When I asked about that I was told if you want named corals I will have to charge more just because of the way the market is. I can remember when I could buy very large colonies for $50 back in the 80's, but a lot of cost have gone up. Since every tank is different a $10 frag might grow to be very colorful and or have a great growth pattern. A $500 frag may not grow as colorful as the mother colony it came from. Many of my frags get better color as they grow.

Slayvoff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am one that will not pay more than $60 for any coral. Most of mine were $10-20 frags. Some are very colorful and may not grow super fast and some grow like weeds. You can get some nice frags if you don't care about the name. I have purchased some frag packs 10 for $100 and 10 for $200 no name on the bags or the list. When I asked about that I was told if you want named corals I will have to charge more just because of the way the market is. I can remember when I could buy very large colonies for $50 back in the 80's, but a lot of cost have gone up. Since every tank is different a $10 frag might grow to be very colorful and or have a great growth pattern. A $500 frag may not grow as colorful as the mother colony it came from. Many of my frags get better color as they grow.

Can a frag turn into a mother colony and then you just cut off pieces from it and start selling those, ultimately making a profit?

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a frag turn into a mother colony and then you just cut off pieces from it and start selling those, ultimately making a profit?
Yes if you have no tank crash or other cause of death and the time, all frags can grow into colonies. Depending on where you live it might be easy to sell your cuttings or trade for other goods. Unless that is your plan to setup multiple frag tanks in a garage or large room it will not make you a bunch of money. You don''t grow them for free so the average person may just help support their hobby.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back