Help me upgrade my nano reef tank

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Still a newbie reefer that could use any insight/advice. I just recently moved my 10 gallon nano reef tank (1 year old doing great) from Tennessee to Florida a month ago with no casualties. All thanks to some great advice I got here. I’m planning on upgrading my DIY 10 nano reef tank to a little bigger waterbox 25 gallon AIO with the stand. I just bought a house and have 3 kids so I’m trying to keep it budget friendly for now. I do plan to upgrade to a nice big peninsula reef tank in about 5 years. Just would like to continue to learn and try out a AIO setup.

I’d appreciate any insights on the waterbox 25 gallon AIO. Possibly interested in getting a Neptune apex controller on it? (Overkill).

Also, please any insights on how I should do this transition from my current tank to the new tank? I really could use any help or things I should look out for during the process.

-Fish/inverts: two clowns, sharknose goby, yasha goby, and a yellow striped Pygmy wrasse, tuxedo urchin, tiger conch, skunk shrimp, and assortment of snails

-Corals: mixed reef (zoas, chalices, birds nest, monitporas, torch, frogspawn, mushrooms, microlords)

-Current equipment: Hipargero 2nd gen A209 LED, coralife HOB filter, bubble magnus qq1 HOB skimmer, hygger mini wave maker

I’m assuming all my current equipment minus the coralife filter will be useable for the new setup?

I’ll take any advice/thoughts I can get! Thank you all!

IMG_1856.jpeg IMG_1859.jpeg

ForTheLoveOfCoral21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First i would invest in a better light. The Hydra AI is a great light that won't crush the bank.

Get a decent pump like sicce for the return to add in some extra flow so you don't have to have a million power heads.

I would start the new tank fresh with new water and sand, and add in the rock and some sand to seed it.

I would also get a skimmer designed for the AIOs for your middle chamber, and put a bag of carbon in the filter sock.

OP
OP
D

DonJuanAntwon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! What are are thoughts on adding apex controller to this small of a AIO? Was looking into their light as well . . .

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 82 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.9%
Back