Help! My bubble magus curve 5 keeps overflowing

Reefmx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just let the skimmer run for a day or two. You need to wait for green slime cover the top cup

OP
OP
DesertReefBoy

DesertReefBoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed last night the bubble level was super low in the chamber of the skimmer. I took the large Tupperware container out and replaced it with a medium sized container and it seems to be doing WAY better. I think just letting things settle like mentioned and then fine tuning the water level will fix things. Thank you to everyone for the help!!

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same Skimmer and cannot for the life of me get it to work.

My tank is just finished (or close to it) cycling. Before, during, and after, if I run it, it just overflows the cup, and with the drain plug removes, it's just a constant stream of water. I let it run for like 5 straight days, hoping it would calm down, it hasn't.

I've got it set to Max.

It seems to run a little more dry if elevated a bit.

I've not tried running it in vinegar yet, as the power cord is routed in such a way that it makes it kind of a pain to unplug it and move it elsewhere.

I see no way of adjusting the airflow.
skimmer.JPG

1: set to max
2: this moves a bit, but I don't see that it has any effect on anything.
3,4,5 also seem like they might be manipulated in some way for adjustment, but I don't know how.

I just lifted it up so that the water level was somewhere near an inch above #5 or so, say 4-5" submerged, and it stopped overflowing. Perhaps I just need to lift it, and ignore the suggested sump depth?

--Gray

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same Skimmer and cannot for the life of me get it to work.

My tank is just finished (or close to it) cycling. Before, during, and after, if I run it, it just overflows the cup, and with the drain plug removes, it's just a constant stream of water. I let it run for like 5 straight days, hoping it would calm down, it hasn't.

I've got it set to Max.

It seems to run a little more dry if elevated a bit.

I've not tried running it in vinegar yet, as the power cord is routed in such a way that it makes it kind of a pain to unplug it and move it elsewhere.

I see no way of adjusting the airflow.
1: set to max
2: this moves a bit, but I don't see that it has any effect on anything.
3,4,5 also seem like they might be manipulated in some way for adjustment, but I don't know how.

I just lifted it up so that the water level was somewhere near an inch above #5 or so, say 4-5" submerged, and it stopped overflowing. Perhaps I just need to lift it, and ignore the suggested sump depth?

--Gray

Id love to hear answers to Grays questions too! Trying to get mine running properly as well.

Fezbearer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dd you add anything into the tank at the same time that the skimmer started going nuts? I used epoxy to add some more rockwork in my tank and it drove the skimmer nuts for a while.

Joeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not alone. I've have mine on a raised piece of egg crate so it's essentially in about 6.5 inches of water and it is still pushing the water column too high. Since the tank is still cycling and not collecting any nasty stuff I've been letting it drain back into the sump for now.

It's been about 2 weeks for mine so I think I'm past any initial break-in period. I think I'm going to be putting a valve on the air hose so I can reduce the draw a bit. I can tell that if I pinch that line the right amount that the bubble height seems correct.

It seems like a well made product but maybe lacks some granular tunability that others have, especially those skimmers with a true valve instead of the odd column twister. In any case i think the air valve should be helpful.

Let us know how it works out.

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
u add anything into the tank at the same time that the skimmer started going nuts? I used epoxy to add some more rockwork in my tank and it drove the skimmer nuts for a while.

Nope. Brand new tank. Just cycling. When I was running it with just water (no cycle on the rock yet), when it was cycling, and now that it's supposedly almost done cycling, no difference.

I think maybe the water needs to be much less than the given 8", so I'm going to elevate it by 4 to 5" and see how that works. If I start seeing actual real skimmate, or at least not bubbling over non-stop, after a week or two, I'll post an update.

--Gray

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update.
I laid the media block I had propped vertically in the sump flat, then with some spare acrylic parts I had build a little platform for the skimmer, which sits on the media block. The water level in the sump now comes up about 1 to 1.5" above the round white platform with the holes ( the base of the bottom clear acrylic ..uh... bubble generator? thing?

*Immediately* better. I dialed down from Max maybe 1/2 a point, and now have skimmate slowly accumulating, without too much water. At this point I definitely think they're 8" recommendation is way off.

--Gray

gray808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skim01.jpg

About 48 hours running.
I think lifting it made it so that I can now just fiddle with the MIN-MAX control to fine-tune.

The real test will be when I get a few fish in there.

--Gray

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
skim01.jpg

About 48 hours running.
I think lifting it made it so that I can now just fiddle with the MIN-MAX control to fine-tune.

The real test will be when I get a few fish in there.

--Gray

I just finished a new stand for mine - 7.5” higher which should mean it in about 5” of water. Once I get it in the tank and it gets going I’ll report back.

elacon225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished a new stand for mine - 7.5” higher which should mean it in about 5” of water. Once I get it in the tank and it gets going I’ll report back.
Checking in. Did you ever get this running property and if so, how. Haha

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back