Help my Clown!!

usafmsc200&

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown is acting lethargic and has stopped eating today. She also has something “cloudy” appearing on her back, near her dorsal fins. I’m not sure if there is anything I can do, but I’d appreciate any help you can provide in IDing the problem. I don’t currently have a QT tank, nor have a way to do one, but might be able to get the LFS to QT her (or all the fish) for me.

OP
OP
U

usafmsc200&

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized that my video didn’t seem to post. If there is a trick that someone could tell me, I’d appreciate it. Also, for reference my readings are:

Salinity 1.025
pH 8
KH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Calcium 480

You can see I have a good bit of hair algae at the moment, so that’s probably hiding any nitrates/phosphates, but this is what I’m testing.

I also had a chromis die from uronema about 10 days ago, so I’m pretty much assuming this is either that or Brook. I’ve not QTed my livestock on this tank, and that is certainly a lesson learned. In any case, whatever help this group can provide is greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef
you can try u tube for video ?
#fishmedic

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting on the video -

What other fish are in the tank with the clown?

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

usafmsc200&

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While waiting on the video -

What other fish are in the tank with the clown?

Jay
That could be helpful! All other fish are currently healthy and acting “normal”. The sick clown is the queen of the tank and until today basically ram things. There are four clowns (two traditional per cups and two snow storms), a flame angel, six line, and a benggai cardinal. Also a peppermint, cleaner, and fire shrimp and a good number of CUC. Only a couple softy, leather corals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

usafmsc200&

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown is acting lethargic and has stopped eating today. She also has something “cloudy” appearing on her back, near her dorsal fins. I’m not sure if there is anything I can do, but I’d appreciate any help you can provide in IDing the problem. I don’t currently have a QT tank, nor have a way to do one, but might be able to get the LFS to QT her (or all the fish) for me.
Here are a couple short videos:

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple short videos:

Other than being a bit subdued, I don't see anything in the video. I can't see the cloudiness you mentioned.

Since you don't have a QT, your options are pretty limited......I doubt it is flukes, but prazipro is safe in mixed tanks.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

usafmsc200&

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than being a bit subdued, I don't see anything in the video. I can't see the cloudiness you mentioned.

Since you don't have a QT, your options are pretty limited......I doubt it is flukes, but prazipro is safe in mixed tanks.

Jay
Thanks Jay. I’ll keep a close eye on her and see if I can get a better video once the whites come on today. Hopefully I’m just overreacting If I do go with a prazipro treatment, should I catch her and dip her or will that stress do more harm than good? If I’m able to get a QT together, what do you suggest for treatment? Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. I’ll keep a close eye on her and see if I can get a better video once the whites come on today. Hopefully I’m just overreacting If I do go with a prazipro treatment, should I catch her and dip her or will that stress do more harm than good? If I’m able to get a QT together, what do you suggest for treatment? Thanks again!
No - if you do go with prazipro, you would need to treat the whole tank. I don’t see that as being a primary diagnosis though….
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

usafmsc200&

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - if you do go with prazipro, you would need to treat the whole tank. I don’t see that as being a primary diagnosis though….
Jay
Good copy. I tried to zoom in and screenshot what I’m talking about, but video/photo is admittedly challenging.

Attachments

• IMG_7705.jpeg
    IMG_7705.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_7703.jpeg
    IMG_7703.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good copy. I tried to zoom in and screenshot what I’m talking about, but video/photo is admittedly challenging.

I can see what you are talking about, but I can't tell you what those are....sorry!

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

usafmsc200&

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see what you are talking about, but I can't tell you what those are....sorry!

Jay
First, thanks again for your help. She still hasn’t eaten, but is occasionally leaving her corner. The cleaner shrimp is paying a ton of attention to her, although I haven’t been able to get a video. I did take this video that I think shows the spots along her back a little better. All tank-mates are doing well so far. I do think I can get a QT together if we can figure out a treatment, but I don’t want to pull her out and stress her more than she already is if I don’t have a treatment plan.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

usafmsc200&

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, thanks again for your help. She still hasn’t eaten, but is occasionally leaving her corner. The cleaner shrimp is paying a ton of attention to her, although I haven’t been able to get a video. I did take this video that I think shows the spots along her back a little better. All tank-mates are doing well so far. I do think I can get a QT together if we can figure out a treatment, but I don’t want to pull her out and stress her more than she already is if I don’t have a treatment plan.

After watching the video on here (through YouTube), I don’t really see the spots either Not sure if these screenshots will be any better, but I’ll try it… I haven’t been able to
IMG_7717.png
IMG_7716.jpeg
IMG_7718.jpeg
find anything that really looks like this either, unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching the video on here (through YouTube), I don’t really see the spots either Not sure if these screenshots will be any better, but I’ll try it… I haven’t been able to
IMG_7717.png
IMG_7716.jpeg
IMG_7718.jpeg
find anything that really looks like this either, unfortunately.

The posturing for a cleaner shrimp can be a sign of external parasites, including flukes.
The not eating just isn’t a main symptom of flukes though.

You could try Prazipro, but I’m still not confident that it is flukes.

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

usafmsc200&

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The posturing for a cleaner shrimp can be a sign of external parasites, including flukes.
The not eating just isn’t a main symptom of flukes though.

You could try Prazipro, but I’m still not confident that it is flukes.

Jay
Understood and thanks again. If she was eating, I wouldn’t be all that worried, but I haven’t seen her eat anything in 3 days. I’ve tried frozen brine/spirulina, flake, pellets, and I have nori in there a couple times a week. I’ve tried soaking in garlic. Any ideas on something else I should try? I’m trying to read up on options, but I’m suffering from analysis paralysis

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood and thanks again. If she was eating, I wouldn’t be all that worried, but I haven’t seen her eat anything in 3 days. I’ve tried frozen brine/spirulina, flake, pellets, and I have nori in there a couple times a week. I’ve tried soaking in garlic. Any ideas on something else I should try? I’m trying to read up on options, but I’m suffering from analysis paralysis

Getting non-feeding fish started feeding again usually requires identifying the underlying cause and fixing it. Garlic and attractive foods don't usually work well - think about eating pizza when you have the stomach flu (grin).

I guess you could start with a five minute FW dip to see if that provides temporary relief (like the next day).

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

usafmsc200&

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to give an update for anyone reading this (it drives me crazy when there is no closure on the threads). I was able to get her eating again with vitamins/garlic added to the water column and food. Once she was eating, I dosed GC into her food and she appears to be doing better. Patches on her back are still there, but no worse and the cleaner shrimp isn't on her more than any other fish now. I know she’s not out of the woods, but I’m cautiously optimistic…

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to give an update for anyone reading this (it drives me crazy when there is no closure on the threads). I was able to get her eating again with vitamins/garlic added to the water column and food. Once she was eating, I dosed GC into her food and she appears to be doing better. Patches on her back are still there, but no worse and the cleaner shrimp isn't on her more than any other fish now. I know she’s not out of the woods, but I’m cautiously optimistic…

Good to hear. Thanks for the follow up. Still not sure what was going on here, but just to add that putting vitamins and garlic in the water is really just feeding the bacteria in the tank, it should just be added to the fish food.

Jay

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back