OP
OP
J

joyannbuskirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several of these fish type are fairly aggressive. Is there ANYWHERE to hide in this tank or is it just a very small dusting of sand and a ton of fish? If it's the latter your fish are extremely stressed with nowhere to hide or territory to claim. Fish store style tanks aren't designed to keep fish for more than a week or 2
All the rocks will be put back in today.

OP
OP
J

joyannbuskirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, rock all back in. Fish are so happy!
Went to store where we but most of our fish. Showed him the photos. He's told us a UV Sterilizer should kill all the bad diseases. Can't install until tomorrow since I put the liquid bacteria in yesterday.

Attachments

• 20240306_145432.jpg
    20240306_145432.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 72

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How old is your tank? I might have missed it

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am having a hard time finding the words. That tank isn't going to handle all those fish off the jump plus they'll create some serious bioload that's going to massively overdo the filtration of that HOB filter.

You should really give some thought to the goals you have with this tank. If I was running an HOB filter for a 90 gallon reef I'd stock it very very lightly. You're likely not getting enough flow either with just the 1 powerhead and no sump return.

Seconding the windex comment.

In that tank with those fairly aggressive fish stressing each other out and a high bioload with what looks like active ich I'd say you're not really starting set up for success.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, rock all back in. Fish are so happy!
Went to store where we but most of our fish. Showed him the photos. He's told us a UV Sterilizer should kill all the bad diseases. Can't install until tomorrow since I put the liquid bacteria in yesterday.

UV sterilizers will limit, but not eliminate active disease issues.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome,
glad to have you on the Salty side.

OK 1st off SW fish need more...well of everything than FW fish do. they need more space, more flow, more filtration, more O2

can you run a SW with a HOB sure you can but with real live rock and low stocked.
I think that HOB filter is small for the bio load in your tang, given no protein skimmer or other filtration methods.
kinda looks like you might be using a canister filter? if so whats in it? how often do you clean?

I would brows R2R and see what others are doing to have successful fish only systems. they're not hard but there is a process.
most new comers over stock there tank way to fast. dont have the proper set up and get fish with out research if it will be OK in there take long term with there stocking plan.
most do this. happens all the time.

OP
OP
J

joyannbuskirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome,
glad to have you on the Salty side.

OK 1st off SW fish need more...well of everything than FW fish do. they need more space, more flow, more filtration, more O2

can you run a SW with a HOB sure you can but with real live rock and low stocked.
I think that HOB filter is small for the bio load in your tang, given no protein skimmer or other filtration methods.
kinda looks like you might be using a canister filter? if so whats in it? how often do you clean?

I would brows R2R and see what others are doing to have successful fish only systems. they're not hard but there is a process.
most new comers over stock there tank way to fast. dont have the proper set up and get fish with out research if it will be OK in there take long term with there stocking plan.
most do this. happens all the time.
The tank is fairly new. It was set up by a local fish aquarium who has been in business since I was a little girl, and we won't go into how long ago THAT was. The owner's son has 20 years experience and I have done everything exactly as he said/says. If he says wait, that's what happens, even though I'm hyperventilating waiting for a new fish!
The tank is cleaned every 2 months and the top filtration system gets changed monthly and the cannister filter underneath, bi-monthly.
We have both filtration systems and an underwater fan to help keep the water oxygenated as well as a good flow.

OP
OP
J

joyannbuskirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I am having a hard time finding the words. That tank isn't going to handle all those fish off the jump plus they'll create some serious bioload that's going to massively overdo the filtration of that HOB filter.

You should really give some thought to the goals you have with this tank. If I was running an HOB filter for a 90 gallon reef I'd stock it very very lightly. You're likely not getting enough flow either with just the 1 powerhead and no sump return.

Seconding the windex comment.

In that tank with those fairly aggressive fish stressing each other out and a high bioload with what looks like active ich I'd say you're not really starting set up for success.

OP
OP
J

joyannbuskirk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I told Devaji, The tank is fairly new. It was set up by a local fish aquarium who has been in business since I was a little girl, and we won't go into how long ago THAT was. The owner's son has 20 years experience and I have done everything exactly as he said/says. If he says wait, that's what happens, even though I'm hyperventilating waiting for a new fish!
The tank is cleaned every 2 months and the top filtration system gets changed monthly and the cannister filter underneath, bi-monthly.
We have both filtration systems and an underwater fan to help keep the water oxygenated as well as a good flow.
We did NOT have a problem until the introduction of the Diamond Back Gobies.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't sweat a few losses. Just wait until Thanksgiving time before you add more fish, do a weekly water change, and put that UV on tomorrow after the blue fishie dies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back