Help! My Healthy Fish Are Dying

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is inside the canister filter?

what specifically does this mean: the tank is cleaned every 2 months?

Where/how were the rocks stored?

I’m sorry you were given poor guidance. this tank is not setup for long term success.

It’s under filtered, overstocked, has a diatom bloom and may be going through a cycle process still.

What do you feed and how much each day?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
windex is highly toxic to fish tanks and spraying it in the vicinity you introduce a huge risk of mist making its way into the tank

They make reef safe glass cleaning products for cleaning glass. fritz makes one I think. I will check

Edit: here this should be much safer

In my house we don’t spray windex in the same room as an aquarium.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, rock all back in. Fish are so happy!
Went to store where we but most of our fish. Showed him the photos. He's told us a UV Sterilizer should kill all the bad diseases. Can't install until tomorrow since I put the liquid bacteria in yesterday.
I am so sorry that you are going through this. The LFS seems to have outright lied to you to make a sale. I would find a new one. Don't buy another thing from the same LFS. Return the UV sterilizer. Don't put it in the tank. They are often useful, but there are much more important and bigger issues here.

As others have said, you are overstocked with pretty aggressive fish, under gunned with flow and filtration, lighting looks suspect, and they told you to go way too fast.

Are you doing any testing? Water changes? Can you post test results? I know it is asking a lot, but it is all in effort to help you.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry that you are going through this. The LFS seems to have outright lied to you to make a sale. I would find a new one. Don't buy another thing from the same LFS. Return the UV sterilizer. Don't put it in the tank. They are often useful, but there are much more important and bigger issues here.

As others have said, you are overstocked with pretty aggressive fish, under gunned with flow and filtration, lighting looks suspect, and they told you to go way too fast.

Are you doing any testing? Water changes? Can you post test results? I know it is asking a lot, but it is all in effort to help you.
Correct. We are not here to criticize or judge. We are fish lovers also and want to help. It upsets us to see others being misled. You came to the right place and we need more info and then can help

And if your LFS isn’t asking the questions that we are asking, then I wouldn’t trust them at all.

With this many fish and that filtration system, are you doing weekly water changes? If so, how many gallons at a time? Do you own test kits? What types and brands. Many test kits are unreliable so that’s why we ask

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, rock all back in. Fish are so happy!
Went to store where we but most of our fish. Showed him the photos. He's told us a UV Sterilizer should kill all the bad diseases. Can't install until tomorrow since I put the liquid bacteria in yesterday.
Please find another fish store for advice...

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
windex is highly toxic to fish tanks and spraying it in the vicinity you introduce a huge risk of mist making its way into the tank

They make reef safe glass cleaning products for cleaning glass. fritz makes one I think. I will check

Edit: here this should be much safer

In my house we don’t spray windex in the same room as an aquarium.
Vinegar in a spray bottle is the cheapest, safest glass cleaner...

Rifken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess here is all the questions

What cannister filter are you running and what type of media is in it?

What type/size of HOB filter are you running?

What is the UV sterilizer that they sold you? are you planning on hooking it into the return line from the cannister?

What do you mean by the tank is cleaned every two months?

Are you doing any water changes? If so, how often?

Have you been testing the water? How has it been testing? Nitrates high?

A 90 gallon tank is a nice size but you have a lot of fish. Like another person wrote, saltwater is a different than freshwater. Water parameters are very important. I am betting that yours are not that good right now.

I'm no expert but I think you have a lot of fish in that tank. I would test the water and I think you'll find your nitrate is high. If so I would do a partial water change, maybe 15 gallons. I would test the water weekly and continue doing water changes as needed. Water changes seem to be a must on fish only tanks. Some people will do them weekly, some every two weeks, some once a month. The amount (percentage) of water varies as well but most do 10 to 20 percent I believe. I think every tank has a sweet spot that is based on the size of the tank, number and size of the fish and even what type of fish they are. You'll need to find the sweet spot for your set up. You can di that based on testing the water.

Also I would probably go ahead and install the UV sterilizer because it can only help. You might need to turn it off now and then because of stuff you are adding to the water and that's fine.

You can also buy HOB proteins skimmers. I have a AquaMaxx 2.5 on my 125 and am happy with it. This might be something to think about. The go on sale pretty often. Proteins skimmers help with lowering the nitrates and they add air to the water which would be good for your 90 gallon. A standard 90 gallon tank is tall and there is not much water surface area at the top for the water to absorb "fresh air". You can not just add an air stone, that will not work on saltwater like in freshwater. Do you have some wave action going on in your tank?

I wish I could offer you advise about the sick fish but I cant. I can wish you good luck with them and that I hope they get better.

If you can answer the question above maybe there can be some recommendations based on your replies.

-Bob

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to help too, need more info about the tank. To me it sounds like stressed fish from water parameters and or disease. Should also note stress from poor water can also allow disease to run through the fish. Could also be that the first fish that died which was also your last addition brought in disease.

Can you let me know:

How long tank has been running
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrates
Live rock or “plain” rocks

I run my reef tank with fish with a HOB filter and protein skimmer (Aquamax HFN) live rock and wave maker.

It can be done but needs to be setup right.

Let us know and we will help.

Don’t make the mistake so many of have of “just trying again” with new fish. If you can’t figure out the problem, any fish you add will likely not survive.

This happened to me after setting up a new tank after being in the hobby for over 10 years. I had taken a break from the hobby a few years and bought a new tank. Cycled it and waited patiently and added some clowns for my first fish. Clowns died in two days. Parameters were good and i was in denial as to how they died. Maybe I didn’t acclimate them well? Surely my local fish store I had gone to for years didn’t have sick fish? i just bought two more and they also died. Finally realized one of the first fish had Brook and now my tank was contaminated. I had to leave it fishless for three months to kill of the Brook parasites.

So all that to say it happens to all of us, but the fastest way through it is to identify the true problem.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If money is tight and you need a hang on skimmer I will basically give one away for cost of shipping to help you and your fish. It was 300$ several years ago, and I used it for 1.5 years and then it’s been in storage in my closet since. I was going to sell it but I see stuff like this post and want to help. It’s good for up to 100g tank so it would have you covered. If you don’t know what a skimmer is, it removes fish poop and waste from the water and also provides oxygenation. If you want it, pm me your address and I’ll get you a shipping quote. If you don’t need it, or prefer to buy a new one, there’s no hurt feelings on my side.

Attachments

• 41922DE3-CA5F-458A-B302-EF0B7E3088C4.jpeg
    41922DE3-CA5F-458A-B302-EF0B7E3088C4.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 18

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So

What else can I do without using chemicals?
Acute infections always require proper medication or removing the fish to break their life cycle. Ich can sometimes be managed, and be UV is one part of that process. Take a look at this post:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back