Help! My new feather dusters are leaning over!

coralgazer

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2012
Messages
83
Reaction score
2
Location
Ocala National Forest
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this normal? Do they have the capacity to upright themselves and strengthen their tubes so they stand straight? I just got them today, and they are my 1st critters :-)
 
Yes they can move their tubes around according to how the current is hitting them (I assume we are talking Hawaiian dusters).

Make sure to place their "foot" end next to rock or rubble to let them attach to. You can also prop them up with small rubble if their crowns are in the sand. Soon it will attach and prop itself up or however it likes in the current. Make sure to feed appropriate food and do not let algae build up on the tubes (trust me).

GL with the dusters!
 
Lots of information here: Feather Dusters and here: FeatherFdgFAQs

You need tiny food for them, very small particle size. Personally I think Reef Nutrition oyster feast is a good food for them just watch the amounts you add. I'm also liking the effects of ground up Fauna LPS pellets for my worms also. I can't be sure they are eating that tho.

Also it was suggested in this thread that live phytoplankton can be used. Also i'd "dust" your rocks and sand once in a while.

I've always suspected and read/heard that filter feeders also benefit from selcon supplement and I do also use this and have for many years, but who knows if it does...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new