HELP MY QT IS FAILING

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've made a couple threads about my qt and here is my current situation i really need all of your help on. So initially no matter how much copper power i put in my tank it never showed up on the tests real well. I used the API test kit and it always came out at .50 after i kept gradually raising it. We initially thought it was the seachem matrix absorbing the copper, but according to humblefish, matrix doesnt absorb copper. Sooo i removed it anyways to try and the reading is still low. This might sound crazy, but what if its the cheap airstone i bought thats negating copper? idk im a noob with this qt stuff. I haven't had any ammonia spikes recently according to the seachem ammonia badge (which i find interesting) all i have now is just the aquaclea sponge going with some biospiria i added.

the current problem i have is the qt has some flukes. i confirmed it on some black and white heniocus i had with cloudy eyes and traded them in to the fish store after they were okay, but now my coral beauty tail fins keep falling off or looks like it has holes in it. is anything wrong with it? Can i dose prazi and copper at the same time? right now the tank only has coppper and metroplex going. I did order the hanna checker for copper to be moreaccurate so thats on the way

please give me as detailed feedback as you can.

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1095.jpg

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For flukes you can use prazipro with copper. Just make sure to have a lot of oxygen introduced in the tank by using extra air stones and or wavemakers to break surface of water etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For flukes you can use prazipro with copper. Just make sure to have a lot of oxygen introduced in the tank by using extra air stones and or pacemakers to break surface of water etc.
what do you think tho about my copper issue and the fins falling off my coral beauty? i have one airstone and the powerhead is pointing up

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an utmost respect for @Humblefish and his work. He is more thorough in his details and experiments with such conditions. My expertise come from my med schooling and experiments on fish with non traditional medicines.
So if he said he checked and matrix does not absorb copper then i stand by him, which i was not aware off and thought only ceramic media did not absorb copper. If that is the case then that leaves only 2 other possibilities.
1. Kit may be bad or human error
2. Copper power bottle may be contaminated or defective
or maybe 3 if some how through water changes or skimmer etc copper is leaving the tank.

Note: i would not add any more copper till you get the Hanna checker in and can verify the strength. If it was me i would be more worried about have overdosed the tank and would do 50% water change and wait till you have good results on copper levels using hanna checker. Then increase the copper to the strength and your clock starts at that time.

Last edited:

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an utmost respect for @Humblefish and his work. He is more thorough in his details and experiments with such conditions. My expertise come from my med schooling and experiments on fish with non traditional medicines.
So if he said he checked and matrix does not absorb copper then i stand by him, which i was not aware off and thought only ceramic media did not absorb copper. If that is the case then that leaves only 2 other possibilities.
1. Kit may be bad or human error
2. Copper power bottle may be contaminated or defective
or maybe 3 if some how through water changes or skimmer etc copper is leaving the tank.

Note: i would not add any more copper till you get the Hanna checker in and can verify the strength. If it was me i would be more worried about have overdosed the tank and would do 50% water change and wait till you have good results on copper levels using hanna checker. Then increase the copper to the strength and your clock starts at that time.

Good advice here, I would do a large water-change and give the fish a freshwater dip to provide immediate relief and remove he bulk of the worms. After they have had a little time to recover and are swimming/breathing normally.... dose the prazi (or General cure if you’d like to continue your metro regime, as it contains both praziquantel and metronidazole)

You might also need to dose an antibiotic if the tail symptoms are due to secondary infection from the flukes.

Furan-2 would be my first choice, and can be used with metroplex and copper in the water. I would wait at least 24-48 hours after the prazi (GC) dose and do a 20% water change before dosing anything else, however. If possible.

If anything changes with the CB before then, let us know!

OP
OP
S

Saltwada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice here, I would do a large water-change and give the fish a freshwater dip to provide immediate relief and remove he bulk of the worms. After they have had a little time to recover and are swimming/breathing normally.... dose the prazi (or General cure if you’d like to continue your metro regime, as it contains both praziquantel and metronidazole)

You might also need to dose an antibiotic if the tail symptoms are due to secondary infection from the flukes.

Furan-2 would be my first choice, and can be used with metroplex and copper in the water. I would wait at least 24-48 hours after the prazi (GC) dose and do a 20% water change before dosing anything else, however. If possible.

If anything changes with the CB before then, let us know!
So the tank is a little cloudy. i just removed the airstone because it had some stuff on the tube that might have been absorbing the copper. i dosed prazi 2.5 ml into the 10 gal and i see white spots on the angel, but nothings falling off. should i do a 5 gallon water change? do i need to clean the sponge? im surprised i havent had a spike in ammonia tbh

Dr. Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could also be a possibility of Lympho rather than flukes. Hard to see in pics.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tank is a little cloudy. i just removed the airstone because it had some stuff on the tube that might have been absorbing the copper. i dosed prazi 2.5 ml into the 10 gal and i see white spots on the angel, but nothings falling off. should i do a 5 gallon water change? do i need to clean the sponge? im surprised i havent had a spike in ammonia tbh

Prazi can cause bacterial blooms, I would put the air-stone back in since the biggest danger with these blooms is oxygen depletion.

If the prazi has run for 24 hours, you can do a water change.

Can you get another photo of the angel currently?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back