Help! My reef tank is overrun with bubble algae!

gabrieljoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(What brand/chemical treatment can I use to get rid of a bubble algae infestation, since natural methods have been unsuccessful?)

I've been battling a bubble algae infestation in my tank for a year now, and I haven't been able to get rid of it. I've tried introducing emerald crabs, but they didn't help. Manual removal was also unsuccessful since the algae has spread to hard-to-reach crevices in my tank. During my last removal attempt, I accidentally broke some of my SPS corals and almost killed my fish while doing a large water change. I've realized that natural methods won't work, and I need advice on which chemical treatments to use. I've been reading forums with mixed reviews, especially about Vibrant. Can anyone recommend a brand that has worked for them?

Some tank info:
size:
- 40 gallons (not including filters)

filters:
- (HF-M Hang-On-Back Multi Filter with Protein Skimmer) (Skimmer doesn't work & I have Chaeto in it)
- (Fluval C3 Power Filter, Fish Tank Filter for Aquariums up to 50 Gal.) (run it with carbon and GFO)

dosing:
- AB+
- Iodine
- Alkalinity
- Calcium

FrontOfTank_3-28-2023.jpg
LeftSideOfTank_3-28-2023.jpg
RightSideOfTank_3-28-2023.jpg
TopLeftOfTank_3-28-2023.jpg
TopRightOfTank_3-28-2023.jpg

OP
OP
gabrieljoda

gabrieljoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE:
I think the course of action goes as follows:
1) I will take away as much bubble algae as I can with my hands.
2) start dosing 2ml of ALGAEFIX by API for 2 weeks (1 dose every 3 days).
4) If all is going well I will bump up the dosage to 4ml (1 dose every 3 days).
5) once completed I will do a 30% water change and add emerald crabs.

I also will be regularly:

- taking photos for documentation for future reefers.
- testing water parameters using Hanna instruments.
- removing bubble algae with my hands and the metal straw method.
- performing weekly 10% water changes.
- cleaning powerheads that tend to attract bubble algae.
- checking this thread for more advice!

Some questions:
1) should I remove my carbon?
2) should I remove my cheato?
3) does the amount I am dosing sound ok?
4) after everything has hopefully settled, how many Emerald crabs should I have?
5) If I need to remove cheato, can I add it back in the refugium after I am done dosing?

Why I chose this route:
I have always preferred the "natural way out" when dealing with a reef tank issue, but my bubble algae infestation has gone too far. It has become more than just an eye burden, as it poses a danger to my reef. It has gone over coral, harming them in the process and also It keeps getting into my filters which makes them not work well.

Lastly, I would just like to say thank you to everyone who has given me advice!

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is ok, remove the Chaeto, follow the directions on the product label.

Upvote 0

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just have patience. I saw no change the first couple of weeks. Then I noticed it disappearing of the power heads. It took a few more weeks before the rock was looking good again.

Upvote 0

Kittypowpow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My chaeto grows using sunlight, because I have a window directly behind my tank. I have always wondered wether or not a light would help, bc it has been just fine growing with the sunlight. I’d say I have half a basketball size if chaeto right now.

I do agree on the skimmer. I wish mine would work properly, but after a month the tubes get filled with algae. Then the filter becomes unreliable with the skimmer on. This is because the filter for some reason can’t prime itself, making it completely stop working if something goes wrong. I do try and clean it which fixes the issue, but that requires taking the whole HOB filter out.
hmmmmm. I wonder if the sunlight is not only making your chaeto happy, but maybe also encouraging growth inside the tank?

Upvote 0

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is ok, remove the Chaeto, follow the directions on the product label.
Well said. I have used it many times with zero issues over the years.
Currently removed as much as I could from my 45 and now 5 weeks later not much to see.
I am using it to kill red turf algae. This stuff is very hard to remove and quicky covers everything.
After 5 weeks it starting to receed.
No issues with peppermint shrimp and my harlequin. Snails ok, corals lps sps ok.
I would not do a water change whem stopping just let it go away on its own.

Upvote 0

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not thaaat long… and maybe an email triggered by these posts will summon them!

For my outbreak, I have been manually removing a ton via suction to a sock in the sump (or during water changes). And, I was able to buy a couple Pitho crabs from Reefcleaners and they are kicking butt! (See below!) Not sure if I’ll win but looking a lot better already

Upvote 0

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae is my sailfin tang's favorite food. It will only grow where he can't reach. Sometimes I pick some out of the weir and throw it in the tank to watch him go bonkers.

Upvote 0

craiglwright

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s not thaaat long… and maybe an email triggered by these posts will summon them!

For my outbreak, I have been manually removing a ton via suction to a sock in the sump (or during water changes). And, I was able to buy a couple Pitho crabs from Reefcleaners and they are kicking butt! (See below!) Not sure if I’ll win but looking a lot better already

How did the Pitho crabs work for you? I just got an emerald crab in my 40G breeder to try and help with the bubble algae that has exploded out of nowhere and he doesn't seem interested at all.

Upvote 0

thrillreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pithos are hard workers. I actually think one died while molting but the one I have is always eating algae when I see it, and hiding in the sand, stirring it if not visible. That guy plus one emerald has really destroyed my bubble algae population. Down at least 95%, although I did siphon some. But very successful.

They’re now eating some GHA and Bryopsis, with help from fluconazole dosing.

I did, however, notice someone eating two torches of mine. And I suspect either of the crabs…

Upvote 0

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Emerald Crabs, I know many folks here hate them, but they always do the job, and eventually die off, save 1 0r 3...never had any one of them eat coral.

Only place they don't get is the wavemakers. I just manually remove them from there, or clean wave maker.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that not make it spread more? I just found some in my tank and I am freaking out.
No. You can pop them all you want. What can happen is the algae growing back from the little parts that are left in the tank if you pop rather than remove them whole.

Don't freak out over bubble algae. It's the easiest nuisance algae to deal with by far, and some places even sell it as a desirable macro.

Upvote 0

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. You can pop them all you want. What can happen is the algae growing back from the little parts that are left in the tank if you pop rather than remove them whole.

Don't freak out over bubble algae. It's the easiest nuisance algae to deal with by far, and some places even sell it as a desirable macro.
Yep, while you don't want your tank over run with them, pretty much everyone has it...not much you can do, except monitor when outbreaks occur, and take care of it.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back