Help! Need advice on tank and filtration.

lucyemc2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found a 135 gallon glass tank with Two Fluval FX-4 pumps, UV filter, two fans, led light in cabinet. Air pump with two air stones. Measurements 60×18×30.
Includes a stand and, extra hoses parts.

I plan to use HOB overflow tanks.

It’s been used as a freshwater tank and before I go spend money I want to make sure that it will be okay to make it a saltwater tank and add my fish once completely cycled. I do not have any corals or any other plants. I currently only live rock, a nice substrate bed. Is that safe to go ahead with?

6D10D2D2-6900-4E5F-973B-C84F752709CC.png 841E3DD7-0C3C-4A2B-894D-7D7225DF00A9.png C57FAE29-6F91-48C8-9E8C-A66621312106.png

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check out my Build Thread, button under my name I believe, first pictures show my 300g with Mbuna Cichlids and the background I made for it as a Freshwater tank, then on to the conversion to Salt. I migrated a 75g tank into the 300g. Reusing Live Rock and Substrate from existing system eliminates the need to cycle the tank, you already have all that Good Bacteria in your rock and sand.

OP
OP
lucyemc2

lucyemc2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you check out my Build Thread, button under my name I believe, first pictures show my 300g with Mbuna Cichlids and the background I made for it as a Freshwater tank, then on to the conversion to Salt. I migrated a 75g tank into the 300g. Reusing Live Rock and Substrate from existing system eliminates the need to cycle the tank, you already have all that Good Bacteria in your rock and sand.
What about the canister filters? Will they be okay? Would you consider $350 to be a good deal on everything I listed?

OP
OP
lucyemc2

lucyemc2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about the canister filters? Will they be okay? Would you consider $350 to be a good deal on everything I listed?
What protein skimmer do you recommend to use with the Fluval FX4 canister filters?

OP
OP
lucyemc2

lucyemc2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350 doesn’t sound like a bad deal if that setup is really what you want and assuming it’s not leaky. Better have some help moving that beast though.
Do you think I will have any issues switch those FX4 canisters from a freshwater aquarium to saltwater?

OP
OP
lucyemc2

lucyemc2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll have no issues, just clean it out good with tap water, no soap.
This is a different question but are you familiar with seahorse and coral comparability? If you are can you message me? I’m still learning how to use this platform.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hey, welcome to reef2reef!

Check out this playlist from BRS:

It’s helped a ton of people begin their journey into saltwater aquarium keeping.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a different question but are you familiar with seahorse and coral comparability? If you are can you message me? I’m still learning how to use this platform.
Check out https://seahorsesavvy.com/ for great info about seahorse-safe fish and coral

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back