Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone
Im having trouble with my water levels
I have 1 emergency pipe
I main with valve
1 return
Ive just added a skimmer i want to take my filter socks out but....
I cant get my water levels correct in the top weir and in the sump .
I get one correct and the other to high and vise versus if you get me.
Im running a tmc 4000 pump im new to sumps is the emergency above water lever or below and some one said to move the primary down lower shut everything off open valve fully and run pump full power then dial valve in.
Please help is this correct

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a Herbie style overflow. These are very nice and quiet... and very easy once you have them dialed in.

The emergency pipe should be at the top of where you want the water to be in the overflow. Having a small trickle through this pipe is ideal. The full siphon line needs to be around 6" below the top water level in the overflow.

Set your retuen pump at the desired speed...DC pumps can be adjusted with a controller, other pumps are ran at full speed and then flow controlled with a valve on the return line.

I prefer to adjust the full siphon drain line valve to keep the water exactly at the top of the emergency drain pipe. If the water is below the pipe, then close your valve slightly... if water is pouring through your emergency pipe, then open the drain valve more slightly until you get the trickle.

After you have this set, then look at your sump's return chamber. If the water line is about 3-5" above your return pump inlet, then mark that as your new water level to maintain. If the return pump is sucking air or the water depth is less than 3-5" above the pump's inlet, then add water to the sump.

Hope this helps...

OP
OP
Ryandip

Ryandip

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have a Herbie style overflow. These are very nice and quiet... and very easy once you have them dialed in.

The emergency pipe should be at the top of where you want the water to be in the overflow. Having a small trickle through this pipe is ideal. The full siphon line needs to be around 6" below the top water level in the overflow.

Set your retuen pump at the desired speed...DC pumps can be adjusted with a controller, other pumps are ran at full speed and then flow controlled with a valve on the return line.

I prefer to adjust the full siphon drain line valve to keep the water exactly at the top of the emergency drain pipe. If the water is below the pipe, then close your valve slightly... if water is pouring through your emergency pipe, then open the drain valve more slightly until you get the trickle.

After you have this set, then look at your sump's return chamber. If the water line is about 3-5" above your return pump inlet, then mark that as your new water level to maintain. If the return pump is sucking air or the water depth is less than 3-5" above the pump's inlet, then add water to the sump.

Hope this helps...
Tank you so much it is now perfect thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back