Help needed: How to protect skimmer intake

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I keep getting tiny snails or bits of Chaetomorpha in my skimmer. Like this happens almost daily, for months. Its a giant Regal 350SSS skimmer, that with the self-cleaning head was supposed to be very independent. The bits of nasties in the needle wheel cut bubble production in half, rendering the skimmer useless.

I cant print anything fine enough to guard the intake. So I need to find a mesh of sorts?

Any suggestions on where to look?

ETh7Rzj.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really corse filter pad maybe? Would need to clean it though from time to time

1567031121213.jpeg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem for awhile with baby trochus snails. The issue stopped happening, but someone on here offered to 3D print a snail guard custom made for my skimmer. I forget who, hopefully they chime in.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you print a snorkel type device that does a 90 and points up. Then some kind of flange that they will have issues getting over?

Last ditch effort, plumb it to the next chamber?

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem for awhile with baby trochus snails. The issue stopped happening, but someone on here offered to 3D print a snail guard custom made for my skimmer. I forget who, hopefully they chime in.

I print guards all the time. That would work for snails, but not quite for the small chaeto bits (I think).

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I get it from marine depot, but I think other vendors have it. It’s basically just a really coarse filter pad. They have different sizes. I used to get them to use as a bubble trap in between the skimmer and pump baffles. The coarse are fairly strong and hold their shape so you can cut to fit

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the pad makes a good hotel for pods and will catch the cheato.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I get it from marine depot, but I think other vendors have it. It’s basically just a really coarse filter pad. They have different sizes. I used to get them to use as a bubble trap in between the skimmer and pump baffles. The coarse are fairly strong and hold their shape so you can cut to fit

Kind of pricy, but would 1000000% be worth it if I didnt have to take out the skimmer so often.Thanks

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same issue on my last sump. I know this goes against the current triton fad. But i get very little in my skimmer pump having skimmer first and fuge second.

Admittedly i do use filter socks now but even a sponge should do the same job

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could always buy one of those pre-filter sponges with the hole in the center and somehow rig it to cover the opening to the pump to help prevent things from getting in, but as others mentioned, you would have to clean it periodically.

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4" sock with a support frame in the inside to keep it from collapsing going over the intake?

Thats more along the lines of what I was thinking. I first thought of using window screen mesh, but then I realized I don't know what material it is.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats more along the lines of what I was thinking. I first thought of using window screen mesh, but then I realized I don't know what material it is.
Perhaps just a media bag tied on and a piece of pvc so doesnt get sucked into the intake?

OP
OP
TheHarold

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps just a media bag tied on and a piece of pvc so doesnt get sucked into the intake?

Not sure if thats enough surface area, to not clog within a day or two. If I am using mesh it needs to have a larger surface.

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use larger hole media bags for my bio balls on my ponds trickle filter. I honestly use to keep them in place but should suffice for this application.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 4” sock in one of our big water fountains. I just coiled up some romex in a spring pattern to keep the sock from collapsing. With your printing knowledge and skills a simple basket for the inside of the sock would keep it from collapsing.

Even a sock standing up with the intake sticking in the side of it.

I really can’t tell how much extra room you have in your sump. Hampers the idea process!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 155 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back