OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I picked up one more purple stylophora frag from my LFS to "test the waters" last week and so far so good, it seems very happy, actually coloring up in some areas where it probably wasn't getting hit with good light at the store. This is one of the frags I lost to this incident so it should be a good test. Also I have one acropora, a raspberry tabling variety I believe, that has been completely unaffected by this whole thing (the only SPS that came through unscathed) and it's showing signs of growth now so that's a nice consolation.

OP
OP
Morpheosz

Morpheosz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in hearing about your biome results!

I just finally got them back a week or two ago. I had an interesting mixed result. My diversity score was 81st percentile but my balance score was 3rd percentile meaning I had a more diverse population than most tanks, but the proportions were different than most tanks - part of that was expected due to treatments I had tried along the way. Also they found no significant pests in the DNA sample. They told me there were no smoking guns that they could see with respect to my coral issues.

I plan on giving it another month or two and sending another sample in to see if the populations balance themselves out or if there is something about my setup that is inherently leading to these results.

Dav2996

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried posting this previously but didn't get any attention so trying again as my situation is evolving quickly. The short story is I have a 3.5 month old 75G tank that cycled and matured very quickly. I transplanted some rock from my previous nano and started with Ocean Direct sand. Within 2 months nearly everything was covered in Coralline and I have closely managed very stable water conditions. I have added a dozen fish and 40+ coral frags. It is a mixed reef with a little bit of everything.

For the first couple of months they were thriving, good extension, growing fast. Over the last 2-3 weeks, I had a number of my SPS quickly start to look pale, then start losing polyps in a patchy way. Over the course of the last week, I've completely lost 3 birds nest frags and a digitata. I have 2 stylophora that were growing like mad that look very patchy now and I have another birds nest that appears to be losing polyps from the base heading up. I have a few acro frags, two are losing tissue from the base and one looks ok, and oddly enough one seems to be thriving with polyp extension. I also had half a dozen euphyllia. I've lost 2 frogspawn that I added 3-4 weeks ago. They looked great for a week, then not so great for a week, then quickly receded and died over the course of a week. I have one more that is on the same trajectory and looks like it will be gone by tomorrow (less than a week ago it was quite large) - will add pic. I have one hammer that has looked kind of sad but hanging in there, one frogspawn and two hammers that look great still.

Oddly enough though, not all is unhappy, I have a many acans, 2 torches, half a dozen goni and one alve, 2 hammers, and a frogspawn that all look like they are thriving. Same story with a pair of elegance corals, and a bunch of zoas and pipe organs. I added a couple chalice a couple weeks ago that look fine so far as well.

My params have stayed consistent. Light measured with par meter is appropriate (75-150 for most of the tank with patches of 200-250 up top for the SPS).

These are averages over the 3 months, I check alk daily and adjust dosing to stay consistent as well as phosphates as they will bottom out if I don't.
pH 8.05-8.2 daily
Alk 8.0
NO3 4-7
PO4 .03-.07
Ca 440-450
Mg 1325-1375

Talked to my LFS and he suggested could be bacterial infection and suggested maybe a chemiclean run. Thoughts?

Would really appreciate any thoughts, this is very frustrating as I've been super attentive and things were on a great trajectory. I have been adding a lot of frags so that is the one thing that has been a moving target.

ZEP10014.jpg
ZEP10016.jpg
ZEP10030.jpg
ZEP10032.jpg
ZEP10034.jpg
ZEP10041.jpg
ZEP10054.jpg

ZEP10007.jpg
I have lost almost every Sps I have ever bought so I never buy that ****.

I can help with LPS.
Feed them with Red Sea ab+. Brightwell restore as well. I have brought back LPS with both and they nearly died. Also keeping the water dirty with nitrates will help them because that is their natural environment. I run my tank that way because I gave up on Sps. Keep parameters as stable as possible. Feeding Red Sea AB+ daily is what I do like the bottle but you may get algae. It helps the lps grow faster by 25% giving it a better chance of survival. Also I would iodine dip the lps. I have yet to loose any LPS doing this. Dipping helps when they are retracting or dying in case infection.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 31 53.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.2%
Back