Help needed on Skimmer

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old Reef Octopus skimmer and I think it’s on its last leg for the pump. What’s some suggestions for a mixed reef currently running about 75 gal total water

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the price point... reef octo is a great brand but is pricey. I've also been reading great things about Simplicity DC skimmers their customer service is supposed to be amazing and they are family owned and operated. They aren't as fancy as the big names but from the reviews, they do what skimmers are supposed to do at a reasonable price.

OP
OP
TripleTruble

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here is what I found out maybe this might trigger some help. So If I blow into the air inlet tube it starts right up. Turn off have to do the same thing

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, get a pot of water and get it to boil, place the airline from the skimmer in the pot, let the skimmer pump draw in the boiling water, this should do the trick. If not I would soak the pump in citrus acid or weak vinegar.

If you need a new skimmer Simplicity 120 should work nicely, I have the 240 model on a 120 gallon tank.

OP
OP
TripleTruble

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, get a pot of water and get it to boil, place the airline from the skimmer in the pot, let the skimmer pump draw in the boiling water, this should do the trick. If not I would soak the pump in citrus acid or weak vinegar.

If you need a new skimmer Simplicity 120 should work nicely, I have the 240 model on a 120 gallon tank.
Is this a cleaning method or what you think is going on

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a cleaning process, do this and then the citric acid, if that does not help, you need either an impeller, pump, and impeller, or a new skimmer.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back