Help Needed. Salinity/Specific Gravity/Etc. Confusion.

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title suggests, I need some help or clarity or at the very least guidance.

I've used a run of the mill refractometer to measure the salinity/specific gravity of my tanks for years. Calibrate it often, purchase new calibration fluid almost yearly and have seem to have had no issues. My dad likes to use the cheap hydrometer from instant ocean and has recently upgraded to the Hanna Salinity Checker probe that you can just dip in to get the readings.

Long story short, I am comparing all three checkers against each other and all three are reading completely differently. The Hanna Checker was calibrated with Hanna calibration fluid and reads the calibration fluid perfectly, then reads the freshly mixed saltwater at 1.025 specific gravity. The refractometer is calibrated with brand new fluid and reads correctly, then reads the saltwater at 1.027 specific gravity. I don't have an accurate way to calibrate the hydrometer, but repeatedly it is reading the saltwater at 1.023 specific gravity.

I am at a loss and wondering if anyone has any potential reasoning for this. Luckily all tanks are running great, however I am running one at hyposalinity to kill ich and need to ensure it stays at 1.009.

Thanks!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the world of hobby grade testing.
Who knows for sure which is correct, the refractometer, or the Hanna. Hydrometer is quite off so I’d not use that number.
Since the refractometer is showing what we want, your system is running fine, Id take the 1.025 number until proven wrong.

OP
OP
BlueFynn_Ian

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the world of hobby grade testing.
Who knows for sure which is correct, the refractometer, or the Hanna. Hydrometer is quite off so I’d not use that number.
Since the refractometer is showing what we want, your system is running fine, Id take the 1.025 number until proven wrong.
Yeah, that is where I am leaning. I just checked the Hypo tank and it is reading 1.011 and the fish are still showing ich. I'm thinking the refractometer is the closest to true.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 67 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back