Help Needed with Emergency tank move

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank decided to crack across the bottom and I now have to get everything moved. As to why it cracked, old house that decided today even with a ton of bracing one support would break. But let’s get to where I need help.

I lost only 10 or so gallons of water as I was home when it happened and it leaked into the sump. The rest of the water is in coolers, totes, brute, and a jbj I had for sale, etc. Due to me not trashing anything I have a ton of hob filters, powerheads, thermometers, and air stones/pumps.

I also have only 5 gallons of RODI water made up as I just did water changes in my qt, my 45, and my frag tank. Making more as we speak.

Is it ok to use the water I had in the tank. I recently rinsed my sand sonthere is not much in it, the water is crystal clear minus a little bit of detritus. My plan was to pump it into the 90g I got super lucky on finding and being able to pick up immediately. Use my sand and rock as they have not even dropped temp during the holy crap lets get this into something.

Also, I have already corrected the foundation issue with 4 support jacks and a ton of 2x10s. So I am not worried about that.

At least this tank will fit on my stand with a foot of space to make into a table top until I can get a new tank built.

Ohh since it will be asked, inhabitants are lps heavy, zoa/play heavy, maxima and a bubble nem. Bubble nem was first to go into its own container with its rock and the clam was second.

Others include a clean up crew of snails and hermits. 1 sexy shrimp (still on her nem), and 1 coral banded shrimp

Fish are already in their own setup as they had to be qt’d

All input is appreciated.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW.

I really feel bad for you.. I just had a seam blow out 3 weeks ago on a tank. We moved all the live rock into the sump tanks Filled them completly to the top. Moved the fish into a 70 gallon tank.. 11 big fish 4 of them tangs.. FUN.. This was a Saturday. Sunday we moved all the sand into another tank we connected to the sump. Monday morning i called around and found a replacement tank.
Best advice i can give you.. Be Calm and think things thru , Know your not the only one and Remember OWNING A Reef aquarium Especially a big one. Its not iF YOUR TANK Will Leak its when..

We used the experience as a reason and way to Upgrade not as a OHH No think..

my story is in the link below ..

Hope this helps and good Luck..

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW.

I really feel bad for you.. I just had a seam blow out 3 weeks ago on a tank. We moved all the live rock into the sump tanks Filled them completly to the top. Moved the fish into a 70 gallon tank.. 11 big fish 4 of them tangs.. FUN.. This was a Saturday. Sunday we moved all the sand into another tank we connected to the sump. Monday morning i called around and found a replacement tank.
Best advice i can give you.. Be Calm and think things thru , Know your not the only one and Remember OWNING A Reef aquarium Especially a big one. Its not iF YOUR TANK Will Leak its when..

We used the experience as a reason and way to Upgrade not as a OHH No think..

my story is in the link below ..

Hope this helps and good Luck..
Yeah. The wife and I stayed calm, got everything in livable conditions. Heck she just set up a ton of spare leds turned way down and on timers lol. This isn’t our first time, but it is for salt water. Fresh water, throw the oscars in a tub lol. They will live.

We do have a 500 gallon in the works for our den as it’s all concrete, but this tank is the first thing you see when you walk in. It will be going back up, just gonna be 6” on either side of the tank to the end of the stand.

Do you have any advice on the water though? I should have enough water by tomorrow morning. Thank god for large RODI and booster pump.

Being as this tank is going to be used until I get another custom one made, I do want to get everything back in a tank ASAP.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. The wife and I stayed calm, got everything in livable conditions. Heck she just set up a ton of spare leds turned way down and on timers lol. This isn’t our first time, but it is for salt water. Fresh water, throw the oscars in a tub lol. They will live.

We do have a 500 gallon in the works for our den as it’s all concrete, but this tank is the first thing you see when you walk in. It will be going back up, just gonna be 6” on either side of the tank to the end of the stand.

Do you have any advice on the water though? I should have enough water by tomorrow morning. Thank god for large RODI and booster pump.

Being as this tank is going to be used until I get another custom one made, I do want to get everything back in a tank ASAP.

If you are talking about water for a temp holding place for fish and soft corals i would say Skip the ro/di water and Use Amquil . or prime if you wish . Your not going to save the water anyway. For more sensitive corals of course ro water tank is prob best . I Drained the tank down into the temp holding tank . And i also always keep about 140 gallons of RO Water..

Awesome on the 500 gallon concrete tank. I actually have thought about this.. When I retire .. well IF .. I want a GIANT MONSTER TANK.. Built at the side of our house and take up the whole wall . Prob cost more then our house is worth.. But If i have the time to do it. I have the skills and Labor. I own a small Construction company..

Wish i could provide more help or advice.

Erica Miller

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about water for a temp holding place for fish and soft corals i would say Skip the ro/di water and Use Amquil . or prime if you wish . Your not going to save the water anyway. For more sensitive corals of course ro water tank is prob best . I Drained the tank down into the temp holding tank . And i also always keep about 140 gallons of RO Water..

Awesome on the 500 gallon concrete tank. I actually have thought about this.. When I retire .. well IF .. I want a GIANT MONSTER TANK.. Built at the side of our house and take up the whole wall . Prob cost more then our house is worth.. But If i have the time to do it. I have the skills and Labor. I own a small Construction company..

Wish i could provide more help or advice.

Erica Miller
Thanks and the tank will be acrylic, just sitting on concrete floor. It’s actually sitting there now but in a crate.

So in short, keep them in the water they are in, fill tank with new water, match salinity, then do my usual acclimation and top off what water is used for acclimation. In short start the new tank fresh. The bacteria won’t die on the rocks so hopefully no cycle.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks and the tank will be acrylic, just sitting on concrete floor. It’s actually sitting there now but in a crate.

So in short, keep them in the water they are in, fill tank with new water, match salinity, then do my usual acclimation and top off what water is used for acclimation. In short start the new tank fresh. The bacteria won’t die on the rocks so hopefully no cycle.

The bacteria lives in the Live rock on the tank surface and anything else it can. NOT SO much in the water . thou it does exist in the water. If you have live rock and sand to seed the new tank water saving is less important. RO Water is less important in a pinch (MY OPINION) You can beat nutrients. The tank you have your sand and live rock.. keep temp above 72 and if no fish put a pinch of fish food . flakes mysis once a day as you normally did will keep it all happy.. Your new setup will go thru some kind of cycle.. But doubtful it will be ammonia prob algae , diatoms or something manageable and easily eradicated once established

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crisis now over. Friend brought me 100 gallons of sw he had. Tank and sump are all full now. Sitting room is trashed lol, corals and CUC are now back in the tank. The 90 fit on my stand perfect, outside of being a foot shorter in width. That’s ok though. Gonna box the sides in to hide everything and hinge them so I can use it for storage or who knows, maybe make some ATO containers to go in there lol.

I am still unsure of the rock work and will change it up some, but for now everything is opening back up, water is clean and so far no leaky pipes. A ton of corals are in the sandbed since the rock work had to be torn apart from the old tank. Less light is better then to much. Par meter in the morning and mark up the tank with a sharpie for par reading. Then comes rework of rock, the rock in the sump gets moved up, then corals places where they need to go. Fun stuff.

Think I am going to drink a few beers and then go to bed. Heck with the mess it can wait lol. Well just noticed I need to take the heater out of the DT and put it in the sump. Then beer.

C6D9F47F-6C86-4168-A569-EC5F1FF95D82.jpeg

DB198DF4-2DF9-4A17-935C-771D9286B11C.jpeg

EBC7A6F2-FDED-4D20-BF90-AA0A46CF5EEC.jpeg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 106 76.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back