Help needed with sump, skimmer and ATO

MCatano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any help is appreciated.
Not sure the issue but my skimmer it's not foaming over the top because the water level drops and my ATO is not replacing it quick enough. Or at least that it's my guess.

In the 1st pic you can see the foam level in my skimmer is low but was up much higher.
2nd pic you can see there is still water un my ATO. Side note, other times that things drains like crazy, so I know it does work.

Tank is RedSea 425 and RedSea Skimmer 600. Sump area is 100% factory stock
20200405_200307.jpg

20200405_200311.jpg

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water level matters GREATLY. Typically in a sump, you do NOT place your skimmer in the return section because the slightest bit of difference in water height changes how it skimms, a lot. If you do not have an option but to leave it where it is, you need to fix or replace your ato.

OP
OP
MCatano

MCatano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water level matters GREATLY. Typically in a sump, you do NOT place your skimmer in the return section because the slightest bit of difference in water height changes how it skimms, a lot. If you do not have an option but to leave it where it is, you need to fix or replace your ato.
20200406_103230.jpg

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like the red section is where the water ends up last. If that is the case, then that is where the return pump goes and the skimmer in the blue. It's hard to tell from the pic which way the water flows through those baffles.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like the red section is where the water ends up last. If that is the case, then that is where the return pump goes and the skimmer in the blue. It's hard to tell from the pic which way the water flows through those baffles.

That's how it looked to me too, but I wasn't sure.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.k. Since there seems to be some confusion, what brand and model of sump is that? I'll look it up. I still think NS Mike is right though that the skimmer should be in the blue.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
MCatano

MCatano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MTBake

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need to take out the float valve and clean it. Mine got clogged with gunk on my Red Sea Reefer.

I would also shorten the hose the feeds the float valve from the ato reservoir. It can stop flowing at times if the drop in the hose is too low compared to where the float valve is.

I took the foam pad out of my sump as well. The one between the skimmer chamber and return chamber. I found that it would get clogged and need frequent cleaning. It isn't needed unless you are getting excessive bubbles from the skimmer.

OP
OP
MCatano

MCatano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might need to take out the float valve and clean it. Mine got clogged with gunk on my Red Sea Reefer.

I would also shorten the hose the feeds the float valve from the ato reservoir. It can stop flowing at times if the drop in the hose is too low compared to where the float valve is.

I took the foam pad out of my sump as well. The one between the skimmer chamber and return chamber. I found that it would get clogged and need frequent cleaning. It isn't needed unless you are getting excessive bubbles from the skimmer.
Cool. Thanks for the heads up

Back