OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying a 20gallon tank this Friday. Going too leave it empty with just 2 pieces of pvc pipes. Going too put in a bubbler or two for oxygen. Using the effected water for now and going too copper dose it since I can’t wait for a full cycle if I want to attempt too save the remainder of the fish. Prior too putting the effected fish in I am going todo a 3-5minute fresh water dip in air rated ro water watching there signs closely prior too putting clowns and firefish into hospital tank.

For the display tank I am going too leave my corals and inverts in it. With sand and rock. I will continue todo water changes weekly for the next 2months leaving any hosts(fish) out of the tank too hopefully kill off all parasites in my aquarium.

Any other advice is greatly appreciated

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco has their 1.00 per gallon sale on now. I would not use the old water it's full of parasites trying to kill your fish. Put fresh saltwater at the same salinity of your DT into the QT. Dose with Bio Spira, Dr. Tims, etc. Add a Seachem Ammonia badge, get it up to temp. and put fish into the QT asap.

OP
OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn’t copper dosage kill the parasite in the infected water?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet reproduces exponentially. The lower the number, the better. The spots or velvet dust is the "result" of the parasite attacking the fish that you see "after" the fish has been attacked. And velvet can reproduce in 4 day cycle. It's a perfect storm of a parasite. Think of it like a "cloud" of parasites attacking your fish. And your water is full of them. Yikes! So as the velvet parasites are going through their life cycle and attacking your fish, the copper only kills the parasite in its "free swimming" stage of life. Your fish has to weather the storm until a complete cycle or two or three is finished and the copper does its work.

OP
OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish in fresh water dip prior too hospital tank. It kind of looks like ick on them but it has the dust look too like velvet

49B479D8-1E02-4DD6-9B05-A97F3C325F2D.jpeg

6B4C4F10-EB13-40E4-BE36-B1C1BD8B6EA3.jpeg

OP
OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to say no fish have made it in the hospital tank. I was too late. Going to start a fresh rebuild. Bigger tank, newer toys, and 2month quarantined for every living organism that goes into too display tank.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loses. It's devastating how fast velvet attacks and overwhelms an entire fish tank. Most of us have been exactly where you are today. And I admire your enthusiasm to learn and rebuild. Have a Happy and Healthy New Year.

OP
OP
D

Dono1990

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question for Big G. I should be able to keep my display tank full and cycling with the corals and inverts in the aquarium although it has velvet or possible ick in it? Been doing research and it says with in 28 days the new eggs hatch and then they try too host on remaining fish. I have no fish in the aquarium at all anymore just the inverts and corals so, would that make my tank pest free after 2months??

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back