HELP............New Clam spewing

reewik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as you know I picked up the HUGE 15" clam last evening, I acclimated it last night and placed it in the tank. Well, today when I got home from work I wanted to reposition a couple things and it started spewing. I was fascinated by it until the tan became so cloudy I could no longer see the clam. I logged onto the net to do a little research and then started mixing up some water just incase. I have a 180 and have done a 10% water change and I am preparing for another 10%. Any suggestions, I do not want to add any additional stress to the big fella.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows the mantel looking. It may be spawning.

OP
OP
reewik

reewik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will hang over as normal and then it will start to shut and shoot out a white liquid. Spawning sounds right but my tank is flipping cloudy as can be. I am about to do more of a water change as I can barely see in the tank.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a video! I wanna seeeeeee

OP
OP
reewik

reewik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is too late for that, the water is so flipping cloudy... gonna do another water change in a few... LOL

Reef-a-holic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clams will very often spawn when stressed by being moved to a new tank. Sometimes we get a shipment of clams in and one will start spawning...once one starts the others sense it in the water and they all go at it...pretty wild to see a whole tank of clams spawning away. Amazingly it does not seem to have a huge impact on water quality.

OP
OP
reewik

reewik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input!!!! I am worried as this is one spectacular clam and I do not way to lose it or any other part of the tank.... I am mixing water as we speak as a precaution.... I am getting back in full force and do not want this to be the end all of it...

Reef-a-holic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be overly concerned so long as everything else with the clam looks good. It's very common. Some clam farming operations actually "induce" spawning by just adjusting the temp by a few degrees. It really doesn't take too much to "trigger" a spawning event.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Eric, I guess you'll just have to give that clam to me since it wants to cloud up your tank.

OP
OP
reewik

reewik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I lost two fish so far as a result of the clam addition.... I have just performed a large water change this evening. I am prepping for another large water change in the am. I am hoping I do not suffer any additional fish losses.

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you run any additional carbon? That will help pull the organic pollutants out as they break down.

OP
OP
reewik

reewik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running lots of carbon. Apparently when the sperm/eggs dies they absorbed all the oxygen suffocating the 2 fish in the tank. I am hoping the the best with the remaining fish that I have and the future planned for the tank.

Reef-a-holic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow...sorry to hear that. I've never seen that happen before...and I've had some pretty major spawning events.

OP
OP
reewik

reewik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New developement. The clam seems very, very unhappy. He is gaping and not fully extending his mantle. I have completed a 44% water change over the past 3 days to remove dead eggs/sperm spewed by the clam. I have added active carbon and some nice poly filter pad to remove any other waste. I have been worried all weekend about this clam. I do not want to do to much more as I am stressing the clam more with the water changes ( I believe) Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back