Help New hammer with flatworms

theswiftduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it finally happened. I got a new hammer coral in and the dip revealed it has flatworms. I did my best inspection possible, Turkey Basted it the best I could in a KoralMD for 10 minutes, moved it to another dip consisting of FragRecover and MediCoral for 5, then finally rinsed it very well in water from my tank. The issue is I do not have a QT tank anymore (I just moved states and haven’t been able to get another one. My friends QT tank has healthy Euphyllia in it about to come out Friday. In other language I have had no choice but to put it in the display tank on a frag rack away from my other Euphyllia. I have a Melanurus Wrasse and a Yellow Tail tamarin wrasse as predators already in the tank. I plan on dipping it every day for a week then once a week or so for 3 weeks. However, am so scared it is going to spread to my other Euphyllia and I have A LOT. What should I do? Any advice would be appreciated. I do not see any eggs but that does not mean they aren’t there as many of you know.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it isn't terribly expensive vs your current stock, you toss it. Not worth risking a tank full of coral for one frag.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These seem really easy to get rid of, I wouldn’t sweat it… I had a torch with them and scraped them and the eggs off and did a dip a week later and inspection and didn’t find a thing… it’s been well over a year now and never spotted a single worm… now acro eating worms that’s a nightmare lol..

OP
OP
T

theswiftduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it isn't terribly expensive vs your current stock, you toss it. Not worth risking a tank full of coral for one frag.
8 heads of ASD Holy Grail hammer. I have a full spectrum light I use for my fuge. Been considering buying a cheap 10 gallon tank and cheap equipment then tossing it in there. For a week or so. Only issue I can’t make anymore saltwater until tomorrow. Bleaching all of my equipment because I’m QTing a Kuiters leopard wrasse and a Purple Tang. Both have something either ich or flukes so to be safe I am bleaching everything today that they could have come in contact with when I brought them in. Not willing to risk my other reef inhabitants.

OP
OP
T

theswiftduck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These seem really easy to get rid of, I wouldn’t sweat it… I had a torch with them and scraped them and the eggs off and did a dip a week later and inspection and didn’t find a thing… it’s been well over a year now and never spotted a single worm… now acro eating worms that’s a nightmare lol..
I didn’t see any eggs on inspection but I don’t have the greatest eyes. I can tell you I got every dang worm I could find. My wrasses are already inspecting the frag as they do with any new addition. Haven’t seen any picking.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine shows out of stock ☹️. Also I think my wrasses would eat them? How many per gallon? It’s only the new coral that has it right now.
Yeah, they won’t be locally available. Go online and order a few. They won’t live more than a few days. But it will take care of the flatworms

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back