Help, new QT regal has ich I think

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know we are all sick of the ich posts. But I've honestly never dealt with it before and need a positive ID, though I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
This is a fish only with live rock tank.
I JUST got a fully QT regal from Dr. Reef, he came in great and day 3 he's already eating pellets. Today at night I noticed tons of white spots all over my heniochus and spots on the regal. My other fish don't seem to have them. I keep salinity at .019 should I go down lower? I also have a UV sterilizer I didn't hook up yet due to no room in my sump, it's going to take a bit of work to hook it up but will that help too? I don't have a ball valve for it yet.
My tank parameters are normal ranges, nitrates at 25ppms o ammonia, 0 nitrite and i keep up with water changes.
I'm super bummed about this, I feed my fish 2-3 x a day and feed them well with selcon/garlic
I'll be D***** if my new regal dies of ich already like jez. ;Nailbiting hopefully they can fight it off but what else can I do.

VideoCapture_20210627-220422_resized.jpg VideoCapture_20210627-220404_resized.jpg VideoCapture_20210627-220107_resized.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have had ich simmering in your tank. I doubt that the Regal brought it in - simply because the bannerfish has more spots and it showed on it first.

Not all of those spots appear to be classic ich, some may just be broken fin rays, or even the start of Lymphocystis, but enough of them do seem to be ich, plus their rapid development points to that as well.

You might be able to treat this with full hyposalinity - 1.009 specific gravity measured with a very accurate device (since you do not want to go any lower than that). This treatment can be risky, but aside from copper, it is your best bet I think.

You can try to "manage it", but that would include getting the UV sterilizer running, and then siphoning the sand surface every morning to try and remove ich tomonts that have dropped off the fish.

Jay

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have had ich simmering in your tank. I doubt that the Regal brought it in - simply because the bannerfish has more spots and it showed on it first.

Not all of those spots appear to be classic ich, some may just be broken fin rays, or even the start of Lymphocystis, but enough of them do seem to be ich, plus their rapid development points to that as well.

You might be able to treat this with full hyposalinity - 1.009 specific gravity measured with a very accurate device (since you do not want to go any lower than that). This treatment can be risky, but aside from copper, it is your best bet I think.

You can try to "manage it", but that would include getting the UV sterilizer running, and then siphoning the sand surface every morning to try and remove ich tomonts that have dropped off the fish.

Jay
Thanks Jay. Yeah I have a feeling it was in the tank already too and my other fish were just well enough the whole time. I will definitely get my UV running and siphoning the substrate in the morning. I am home all day so I have the time. How terribly sad, my heniochus is 12 years old and it would a shame to loose him and the regal :(

OP
OP
SakuraSky

SakuraSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I checked this morning and the parasites have mostly fallen off both fish! They are still have tiny tiny blemishes where they were but most of the ich is not present. Fins and scales are clear. So I think some vacuums and uv will be awesome. Thankful I have healthy fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I checked this morning and the parasites have mostly fallen off both fish! They are still have tiny tiny blemishes where they were but most of the ich is not present. Fins and scales are clear. So I think some vacuums and uv will be awesome. Thankful I have healthy fish.
That sounds good, but just be aware that when ich first starts up, all of the organism’s life cycles are closely in sync, so when it is time for the trophonts to drop off the fish to form tomonts, they tend to do so around the same time….but then the theronts return in a few days. I can’t say if that is what you are seeing, but best not to let your guard down quite yet.
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back