Help - New Tank Cycling

TheCuriousAquarist

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 8, 2025
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Location
South Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’ve had my new tank for a couple of months now, its nearly finished it’s cycle but I’ve got a lot of this brown algae, paired with air bubbles on the top of and possibly underneath the sand.

Does anyone know how to get the algae to calm down and what the air bubbles are?

Thanks!

P.S. I have a pair of clowns, some chromis, and some snails in the tank, I added them too early based on the recommendation of what I now know is a bad lfs worker.
 
What are your nutrient levels? Are you able to accurately test nitrates and phosphates?
 
I don’t have a phosphate test kit yet but it’s on my list.

Current nitrates are 5ppm, ammonia is 0.2ppm and nitrite is 0.5ppm. Other nutrients are KH 8.4, Ca 400, Mg 1360.

All are Red Sea test kits.
 
Is it stringy looking? And the bubbles are on the ends?
Likely dinoflagellates. Caused by low nutrients. For starters I’d test phosphates asap. See id a local reefer or LFS will let you use a Hanna tester. That’s the best way to test low phosphate levels
 
Is it stringy looking? And the bubbles are on the ends?
Likely dinoflagellates. Caused by low nutrients. For starters I’d test phosphates asap. See id a local reefer or LFS will let you use a Hanna tester. That’s the best way to test low phosphate levels
It doesn’t look stringy, it’s more so just a carpet of brown with bubbles sitting on top. I’ll take it to an lfs to get it tested soon.

Also, not sure if it matters but I’m dosing 8ml of Nopox daily.
 
Can you provide a picture? Especially in a new cycling tank it can be anything. Could be dino’s, cyano, even diatoms…

I would stop dosing nopox increase water changes a bit (with manual removal of algae) and see what effect that has on your nutrients and algae growth.

Make sure you have a good cleanup crew. (Snails, crabs, copepods, sandsifter,…)
 
Ya you definitely don’t need NoPox if your nutrients are that low. Carbon dosing new tanks is a dangerous game to play!
 
IMG_3461.jpeg


Sorry for the delay, here's a picture!

I've turned off the Nopox dosing. I was only dosing it based on the instructions in the Red Sea Mature Starter Kit, but I'm learning more and more that that kit isn't great.
 
Honestly that’s not even bad. Let the tank go through the various uglies and you’ll come out better on the other side.

I found that upping my flow helped keep my sand bed clean. Upped the flow to the point where the sand just slightly moved around everyday
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new