Help? Odd Behavior from Clowns

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier this week my male clown started to bite and twitch around this rock. I’ve seen him twitch while they were doing their mating dance. However now the male is twitching on the rock when the female doesn’t even come near? Both seem particularly interested in this specific part of the rock but as seen in the video the male tries to eat it and the twitches around it. This is the only spot in the tank that he does this.

He has black spots by his fins on his body that showed up after introducing a BTA so I thought it was just hyper melanization but it has not gone away and now he seems to be “itching?”

Eating behavior is fine, swims around with the female like normal. But spends a lot of time inspecting, biting, and twitching around this 1 section of the island.

If someone can help identify this behavior, is he sick? Just being weird? Are they finding a breeding location? I’m really not sure I would appreciate the help!

Everything else in the tank is happy and I just did a water change so parameters are all within normal range. It’s just the males off behavior.

IMG_5639.jpeg
IMG_5640.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately I can't see the video - the pictures look like healthy fish - and the twitching is something my clowns did all the time. Note - it's often hard to see spots, etc - on a white clown. I'm assuming the breathing, etc is normal.

Did you QT your fish, etc - any other fish doing odd things in the tank, how long have you had them.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can't see the video - the pictures look like healthy fish - and the twitching is something my clowns did all the time. Note - it's often hard to see spots, etc - on a white clown. I'm assuming the breathing, etc is normal.

Did you QT your fish, etc - any other fish doing odd things in the tank, how long have you had them.
I did not QT I got them aquacultured from Cultivated Reef. They have been in the tank since set up which was about 5 months ago. All the other fish, inverts, and corals seem perfectly fine. And when he's not by that one spot on the rock he acts normal. Very weird

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did not QT I got them aquacultured from Cultivated Reef. They have been in the tank since set up which was about 5 months ago. All the other fish, inverts, and corals seem perfectly fine. And when he's not by that one spot on the rock he acts normal. Very weird
IMHO - he is preparing (or they are) - a place for mating. I think I know (without the video - which by the way you can upload via a YouTube link) - what you mean by the twitching - and it's usually associated with mating behavior. However - since I can't see the video - can't say. PS - the fact that the other fish, coral, etc are fine rules out a number of factors

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Earlier this week my male clown started to bite and twitch around this rock. I’ve seen him twitch while they were doing their mating dance. However now the male is twitching on the rock when the female doesn’t even come near? Both seem particularly interested in this specific part of the rock but as seen in the video the male tries to eat it and the twitches around it. This is the only spot in the tank that he does this.

He has black spots by his fins on his body that showed up after introducing a BTA so I thought it was just hyper melanization but it has not gone away and now he seems to be “itching?”

Eating behavior is fine, swims around with the female like normal. But spends a lot of time inspecting, biting, and twitching around this 1 section of the island.

If someone can help identify this behavior, is he sick? Just being weird? Are they finding a breeding location? I’m really not sure I would appreciate the help!

Everything else in the tank is happy and I just did a water change so parameters are all within normal range. It’s just the males off behavior.

IMG_5639.jpeg
IMG_5640.jpeg

Mine do this when they are pairing off. It can be weeks or months before egg laying but a natural behavior for pairing. I have 4 breeder pairs and they will do this prior to eggs being disbursed in the tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5639.jpeg
IMG_5640.jpeg

In the first video, the female is breathing a bit fast, but that may just be due to activity. In the last video, it is too dark, but from what I can see, the female is preparing a nesting area.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back