Help on a refugium in a AIO Aquarium

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a 65g AIO Aquarium (a Red Sea Max 250) in the back theres a a compartment where id like to grow cheato. I also have a 2nd department with a little shelf in it where i have a little carbon bag atm.

Both departments are 10cm x 13cm x 50cm

So they are really tall. My idea was to have cheato growing in one chamber with a led light on the back. In my shelf id put some porous material where beneficial bacteria can grow. Im planning on getting a mandarin anywhere in my aquarium career so id look forward to grow a copepod population in the cheato.

What should i look for in a light to support steady growth of the cheato? Any advice on how this all could work out? Did any of u do something similar?

Thanks in advance!

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love the Deep Blue Solar Flare LED lights for this purpose. I have the 630NM red micro version on my AIO fuge and it works perfectly for growing macro algae. I'd imagine one or two would work for you as well. You could otherwise look at the larger 15Watt version.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back