OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok I got this... a beer flute is perfect.. and my salinity is around 1.020 ~ 021.. ugh. So should I add super salty water bit by bit or just let evaporation lower the sump and top off with normal 1.025 new saltwater ??

3017A945-9410-443A-AE86-3BDBFEC7C452.jpeg

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok ok I got this... a beer flute is perfect.. and my salinity is around 1.020 ~ 021.. ugh. So should I add super salty water bit by bit or just let evaporation lower the sump and top off with normal 1.025 new saltwater ??

3017A945-9410-443A-AE86-3BDBFEC7C452.jpeg

If every thing is looking ok, I would just correct it when you do water changes, maybe do them more often if you don’t do them regularly.

The other option is fill your sump with water above the ato fill level, this will raise it too.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thinking.

Make sure you use Randy's link to make the temp correction.

Topping off with saltwater is a great way to raise Salinty

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If every thing is looking ok, I would just correct it when you do water changes, maybe do them more often if you don’t do them regularly.

The other option is fill your sump with water above the ato fill level, this will raise it too.
Thank.. yes I’m topping off with new saltwater and going to do a big water change tomorrow with .026... thanks everyone.. I might get that expensive digital meter... very easy

rmurken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank.. yes I’m topping off with new saltwater and going to do a big water change tomorrow with .026... thanks everyone.. I might get that expensive digital meter... very easy
Everyone’s got their method. I use a cheap refractometer that says it corrects for temp but doesn’t. I just check where it’s reading with 35ppt calibration fluid each time and use that as the reference point.

Classic accuracy vs. precision. The precision is fine...the accuracy is a hot mess. But I can make it work.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone’s got their method. I use a cheap refractometer that says it corrects for temp but doesn’t. I just check where it’s reading with 35ppt calibration fluid each time and use that as the reference point.

Classic accuracy vs. precision. The precision is fine...the accuracy is a hot mess. But I can make it work.

Doing a 25% water change tomorrow with this.

2616B2A5-6F15-4158-A320-B9BA0705C4E1.jpeg

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a used Milwaukee and can’t believe how awesome it is. I was too cheap to buy one new but now that I have one, I won’t use anything else. I will say that my cheapie plastic one was almost right on where the Milwaukee is. FWIW.
And good luck

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would read up on all the options you have been given here, most of them have their fair share of bad reviews, with the 3 methods you have now you should be able to pin down what you find the most accurate, try and get a bottle of calibration fluid, then you can be sure your refractometer is good, then use that to check the other 2.

If you fancy a digital reader, out of all those mentioned, I have seen less bad reviews on the Milwaukee, and you don’t need to keep buying reagents for that one, the Hanna one you do.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just to be clear, my suggestion was slightly different to topping off with salt water, adding extra salt water to the sump, above the ato level will do the same, this will stop the ato working, as the extra salt water evaporates, this raises the salinity, saves adding salt to the ato, same result but saves a lot of hassle swapping/cleaning ato containers etc

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, my suggestion was slightly different to topping off with salt water, adding extra salt water to the sump, above the ato level will do the same, this will stop the ato working, as the extra salt water evaporates, this raises the salinity, saves adding salt to the ato, same result but saves a lot of hassle swapping/cleaning ato containers etc
I understood... I don’t have an ato system yet... just been manually topping off ...

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would read up on all the options you have been given here, most of them have their fair share of bad reviews, with the 3 methods you have now you should be able to pin down what you find the most accurate, try and get a bottle of calibration fluid, then you can be sure your refractometer is good, then use that to check the other 2.

If you fancy a digital reader, out of all those mentioned, I have seen less bad reviews on the Milwaukee, and you don’t need to keep buying reagents for that one, the Hanna one you do.

For sure... I’m going to try the refracometer and see how easy it feels and accurate it is using the floating variant as a baseline before I run out and spend money on the fancy digital version.. sort of go from there... thanks much!

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Milwaukee digital meter a year or so ago and was in hog heaven. Super easy. Very accurate (or so I thought). But recently I bought one of the glass Tropic Marin hydrometers from BRS, just to occasionally validate the Milwaukee. Tested my water with the Milwaukee - 1.024. Tested with the hydrometer - 1.027. And yes, I calibrated the Milwaukee before I used it. The glass hydrometer is supposed to be the most accurate from what I have read. So now I don't trust the Milwaukee.

My 2 cents, spend $31 on the Tropic Marin hydrometer and get the $10 plastic 500 ml graduated cylinder from Amazon. Just rinse of the hydrometer after each use and be gentle with it, and you should get very consistent and accurate readings.

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Milwaukee digital meter a year or so ago and was in hog heaven. Super easy. Very accurate (or so I thought). But recently I bought one of the glass Tropic Marin hydrometers from BRS, just to occasionally validate the Milwaukee. Tested my water with the Milwaukee - 1.024. Tested with the hydrometer - 1.027. And yes, I calibrated the Milwaukee before I used it. The glass hydrometer is supposed to be the most accurate from what I have read. So now I don't trust the Milwaukee.

My 2 cents, spend $31 on the Tropic Marin hydrometer and get the $10 plastic 500 ml graduated cylinder from Amazon. Just rinse of the hydrometer after each use and be gentle with it, and you should get very consistent and accurate readings.

I have the plastic graduated cylinder coming today... the refractometer I got is this one and the calibration fluid.

the reviews were generally good and the price was right.. think I should return it and get the Tropic Marin?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the plastic graduated cylinder coming today... the refractometer I got is this one and the calibration fluid.

the reviews were generally good and the price was right.. think I should return it and get the Tropic Marin?

I think most refractometers are made by the same people and are rebranded for sale. I could be wrong, but I've seen a few different makes in person and if not for a sticker, or slightly different color or decorative piece, I couldn't tell them apart.

clm65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My personal opinion, I like having multiple ways of taking a measurement. At some point you will question the validity of a reading you get, and having an independent way to verify it will come in handy. If you get similar readings with 2 devices, it is probably a good reading.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get similar readings with 2 devices, it is probably a good reading.

Better yet, an accurate reading with a known standard. :)

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got everything to calibrate the refractometer and turns out my water is spot on now.. 1.025 ~ 1.026 ... tad salty but fine. The floating hydrometer is very accurate too... so it's nice to have two devices to check the water with. Thanks everyone for the help and have a super weekend.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 117 77.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 21 13.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back