Help out a thicko would ya

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently take tank pics with my Iphone and clip on orange filter, saying that they're "ok" would be an overstatement.

I'm not a photography person, I really just want to cut through all the complexity and someone to say "buy this = better pictures".

I appreciate people are very loyal to certain brands, I'm not, nor do I really care. I also don't mind throwing a bit of money at the problem, this isn't a "a want better pictures for cheap" type conversation, I appreciate this gear is expensive.

I'm not being completely lazy, I've done some research, I'm just struggling to understand the million different camera and lens options.

My tank is very blue, so I'll need some filter I guess, and I want to take some nice macro shots.

Someone throw a camera, lens and filter combo at me please.

Cheers,
Dave

dmy535

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased the ice cap filter and macro lense combo kit for the iPhone from BRS and I am really happy and impressed how the photos come out. I run blues as well so the filter worked well.

jorwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run blues as well and am very confused how places like tidal gardens get these amazing photos with all the vivid color. With my orange filter lens for my iPhone it makes the fluorescent tones really pop but I am not getting that color pop like others get. I have reef breeders running all blues no whites, red or green.

I know obviously using an iPhone and they have a $5k camera with all kinds of crazy lenses but still.

Here is a pic. @ReefPig_UK you got a sample shot of yours with the orange filter?

61E36B85-63D0-42CD-8BC3-FE1DF5A536BF.jpeg

OP
OP
ReefPig

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run blues as well and am very confused how places like tidal gardens get these amazing photos with all the vivid color. With my orange filter lens for my iPhone it makes the fluorescent tones really pop but I am not getting that color pop like others get. I have reef breeders running all blues no whites, red or green.

I know obviously using an iPhone and they have a $5k camera with all kinds of crazy lenses but still.

Here is a pic. @ReefPig_UK you got a sample shot of yours with the orange filter?

61E36B85-63D0-42CD-8BC3-FE1DF5A536BF.jpeg

Here are a few recent pic on an iPhone with the Orphek orange lens.
The FTS are under blues, and acro is under peak daytime light (on XR30 blue, so it's still fairly blue).

EF04AD6D-F3BA-466F-B38D-611CFC3CD810_1_105_c.jpeg
AE2FC832-1F99-490B-8C0F-E87E244B55C7_1_105_c.jpeg
AC1F85A1-7881-4A3E-9EC9-637C23D61D0B_1_105_c.jpeg
F92491D0-0398-4DDF-9714-5A53B04057AD_1_105_c.jpeg

The images look blurry and out of focus.
They're missing definition and clarity.
The colours also don't look right. Even if I look through the orange lens, the picture doesn't come close to.

The main issue is the iPhone hates blues IMO.

Hence why I want a real camera.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say no more than about $1500, but I don't really have a number in mind as such.
That’s a pretty good budget.
Lens

Camera body with accessories

And a tripod of your choice.

OP
OP
ReefPig

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a pretty good budget.
Lens

Camera body with accessories

And a tripod of your choice.

Perfect! Thanks very much.

Do I need an orange lens like I would on a phone?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! Thanks very much.

Do I need an orange lens like I would on a phone?
No one needs a filter. Filters really are for people that want to hyper accentuate the colors. Just adjust your aquarium lighting and use the white balance adjustment in the camera to achieve good photos. If you don’t know what that is, there are hundreds of websites that talk about white balance.

Photography has a learning curve and unless you take the time to read and learn to use the equipment success will elude you.

OP
OP
ReefPig

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one needs a filter. Filters really are for people that want to hyper accentuate the colors. Just adjust your aquarium lighting and use the white balance adjustment in the camera to achieve good photos. If you don’t know what that is, there are hundreds of websites that talk about white balance.

Photography has a learning curve and unless you take the time to read and learn to use the equipment success will elude you.

Very good, thank you for the info

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using this:

I have not even BEGUN to explore all of the options available on this camera. IMO this is a fantastic "starter kit" for those interested in learning about photography.

One feature I have found particularly useful, is the ability to resize photos within the camera itself. Meaning, I can take a photo in full size, and compress it via the camera itself to a size acceptable for posting to this forum.

Happy shooting,
Steve

Back