Help picking a camera?

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to purchase a used beginner dslr for macro photography of my corals and fish. I've been looking on Craigslist and other local buy/sell places and I need some help determining a good deal. I'm trying to keep my total budget around $500. I realize that isnt much but I think with some patience, and some haggling and charm I'll be able to find something.

I'm having trouble narrowing down the models to look for. I have seen recommendations for nikon 3300, 3200, and 3100. I'm not sure what the comparable Canon models would be. Someone also recommended a Sony a6000 and I don't know how that compares to the other brands but it also seems like a good option.

As far as lenses I think I've got a general idea but I am not sure how to tell if a lens will work for a camera I've seen a lot of recommendations for a Tamron 90mm. I've also seen a Tokina macro lens recommended, as well as Canon and nikon macros. As far as I can tell, any of them will work for my needs so it's just a matter of which will fit my camera and what I can find a deal on.

This is one ad that I found, I've never seen anyone use this brand of camera but maybe they are good? I asked for specific model info.
Screenshot_20180306-121101.png

This one is probably more than I was looking to spend but might still be worth it?

Screenshot_20180306-122559.png

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts on any of this. Any tips or advice is welcome!

Last edited:

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think after doing some more research I'm going to go with a Sony a6000. I like the smaller size and wifi, and it seems like a versatile camera in case I want to use it for other things. I have found them in used condition for $300 which is within my budget. One thing I'm not sure about is that I know that you can get an adapter to be able to fit other lenses onto it but what are the disadvantages to doing so? Is it a big deal for macro photography?
I also have been researching different macro lenses and I have seen recommendations for the Tamron 90mm and Tokina 100mm as reasonably priced lenses. Is one better than the other for coral and fish photography? For both of these I would need an adapter.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a bunch of amazing pictures on reef2reef with either one so I have a feeling it will just come down to which I can get a better deal on.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I made some purchases:
Sony a6000 body (used)
Sigma 30mm f/2.8 (used)
Viltrox auto-focus extension tubes - I hope these will work

I ultimately decided that if I was going to spend $500+ I needed to be able to take pictures of more than just my tank. From the research I've done, this should be a good starting point for me.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC00153Earmuff 1.jpg
So got the camera, it's a lot to learn but after a few hours of fiddling I've already got better pictures than I did in the last year with my phone. I am using sony capture one software since it's free. But there's a big learning curve there too.

OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting out with wrasse pictures, nice. Taking pictures of my wrasses is like trying to catch a speeding bullet.
The earmuff is definitely the easiest of my 3, he is fairly predictable...the fairies, not as much.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shots! It is easy to embed the photos here. Click on the Share button (arrow on the bottom right that looks like an email forward button) then click on the BBCode tab and select the size you want to display. Then just copy the link and paste it here.

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
leahfiish

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you share some of the settings you used?? im still trying to figure it out myself on my fuji. Great pictures btw
If you click on them you can see the details at the bottom. I am no expert, though, so I don't know how far copying my settings will get you.:rolleyes:

A few more

Urchin Closeup1 by Leah , on Flickr
Urchin Closeup2 by Leah , on Flickr
Urchin Closeup3 by Leah , on Flickr
Red Blasto by Leah , on Flickr
Acan by Leah , on Flickr
RainbowAcan by Leah , on Flickr
Fl Ric by Leah , on Flickr
FTS by Leah , on Flickr
Right by Leah , on Flickr
Left by Leah , on Flickr

And a link to my build thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/leahs-120g-lps-mixed-reef.358181/

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back