Help picking out my first tank!

miltonkl

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 28, 2020
Messages
149
Reaction score
131
Location
Minneapolis
What state or country do you live in
Minnesota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to set up my first tank and am trying to decide between a 40 breeder and an Aquatop Recife 40g AIO tank.

I just picked up a used Aquatop with stand (included a return pump and the plastic media bucket things but the light it was supposed to have is missing and the skimmer it came with is missing the piece you use to adjust it and they don't sell replacement parts (so it's worthless, I assume). This is a beautiful rimless tank with a nice shiny cabinet but.... it's a cube which I'm not sure how I feel about yet and it seems limiting if I really enjoy the hobby and want to upgrade. I think I could sell this for maybe $200-$300 (?) and reinvest that into option two.

Option 2 is grabbing a used 40 breeder and stand (one available locally for $110 right now) or a new 40B ($49 sale at Petco) and build/buy a stand separately. The 40B offers the more traditional rectangle shape and offers some flexibility in the future to either drill it or use it as a large sump if I upgraded to a bigger tank down the road (or just another 40B but with a sump). It also has the black bracket around which is an eyesore but also offers some peace of mind as far as the tank falling apart (how practical this actually is, I don't know). As a newb, I have little knowledge here but I would think that being shallower, this would also be a easier to light since it wouldn't have to penetrate as far. I probably wouldn't really be looking at corals for a while anyways (until I get the hang of caring for the tank and a couple fish) so just a cheap light on Amazon would probably be what I start with regardless.

I'm looking or the opinions of experienced reefers here. My question is, would you suggest the Aquatop tank as a first tank or would it be worth selling it and diverting the funds to a basic 40 breeder?
 
Use the Aquatop. I bought the $49 40B Aqueon from PetCo and the weight of HOB equipment pulled it out of level, and the strain caused a massive leak. I had to replace it for twice the cost, since non-sale price is $100, but only did so as a temporary solution while I build my upgrade.

Unless you plan on a super small bio-load or doing tons of water changes (enough that you won't need a skimmer or refugium), start with what you've got and don't dump money into something that won't last long-term (mine started leaking after two months). Also, I think cubes are awesome looking. :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new