Help please. How do I remove cup and sock from Red Sea reefer G2??

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There I want to remove the media cup and sock ‘tray’ from a Red Sea Reefer G2. Should be easy, so am I being stupid? Help please. Thank you.

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for taking the time and trouble. Excellent video. My tray seemed more stubborn … hesitate to hit it with a hammer…

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha. Got the tray out. Can now spend some £££. Thank you.

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No trick. I just wiggled it back and forth a little harder than I would have thought necessary and then it came out.

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wiggled the tray back and forth a bit harder than I would have thought necessary then it started sliding out.

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. Now have room for skimmer and filter mat. Was trying to avoid having both/over filtering the system but after 5 weeks my water is too cloudy. I notice the skimmer has a small mefua basket at the bottom … might work well.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tray slides out and the glass baffle pulls up (2:20min mark in the following video):

Hey you made this look so easy. mine seen stuck. may be it's easier with water in the sump? hmm maybe i'll fill the sump with FW and try it.

setting up a new tank and want to plumb the reef mat from the get go.but not use the fleece for the 1st month.

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my G2 tank the glass near the 2 pipes had to be cut out with the Red Sea sump modification kit knife . That piece came out easily but was not free to slide out.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my G2 tank the glass near the 2 pipes had to be cut out with the Red Sea sump modification kit knife . That piece came out easily but was not free to slide out.
oh really you still have to cut on the G2? anyone else have to do this?
my understand and it could be wrong was that they where no cut reef mat ready?

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh really you still have to cut on the G2? anyone else have to do this?
my understand and it could be wrong was that they where no cut reef mat ready?
If you put a filter mat on the left and a skimmer on the right then yes you are ready to go, but then you cannot have the ATO reservoir anywhere. To keep the reservoir (on the left near the 2 pipes) then the skimmer goes behind the mat away from the pipes. Some people lifted the glass near the pipes out but I had to cut through the mastic on my piece of glass. Only took 5 minutes.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a filter mat on the left and a skimmer on the right then yes you are ready to go, but then you cannot have the ATO reservoir anywhere. To keep the reservoir (on the left near the 2 pipes) then the skimmer goes behind the mat away from the pipes. Some people lifted the glass near the pipes out but I had to cut through the mastic on my piece of glass. Only took 5 minutes.
ah i see I have a huge skimmer + the reef mat so no ATO res for me. anyway there to small its dry up here. I evap to much for those little guys. i'll have a 29H behind the couch that should get we 3-4 weeks.

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem mate, any idea on what I can do? don't want to break it
Hi There. Is there an old thread? I bought the Red Sea conversion kit which is basically a very thin and flexible blade. Cuts through the mastic easily and then with a gentle wiggle or two out it all comes. Just be careful not to get close to other bits of mastic.

reefo420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi There. Is there an old thread? I bought the Red Sea conversion kit which is basically a very thin and flexible blade. Cuts through the mastic easily and then with a gentle wiggle or two out it all comes. Just be careful not to get close to other bits of mastic.
so with the g2 you had to remove the sock holder with the blades too?

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so with the g2 you had to remove the sock holder with the blades too?
It was a while ago. I think the sock holder pulled out horizontally with some pulling, then I took out the other glass to get a skimmer and roller mat in. Just one thing - on my 250 the Red Sea skimmer and mat do fit 9n with a bit of a squeeze. Mat front right and the skimmer behind, if you want to keep the ATO reservoir on the left. Good luck. Maybe consider a skimmer with a smaller footprint.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back