HELP Please....NEPTUNE DOS right side not pumping on auto

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
INSTALLED MY APEX EL AND DOS 6 months ago, everything has worked great. Fritz Part 1 Alk left side, Part 2 Ca on right side pump.

But level was low, so I refilled containers. But since the Ca right side looses prime???? And does not pump.

Looks today as it has been off for a few days as my Ca is down to 390'ish from 420. Manually readjusting slowly now.

But I pushed over ride button and it took like 20 seconds for pump to start pumping out of the hose.

WHAT SHOULD I DO.....CHECK......FIX? PLEASE?

THANKS.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have an air leak somewhere on the right side leading to loss of prime. Unfortunately, it seems to be a relatively common issue on the DOS and those compression hose fittings that they use. I’d check the connections on that pumphead, maybe try to reseat the tubing on that side. Are you using the DDR reservoir as well?

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have an air leak somewhere on the right side leading to loss of prime. Unfortunately, it seems to be a relatively common issue on the DOS and those compression hose fittings that they use. I’d check the connections on that pumphead, maybe try to reseat the tubing on that side. Are you using the DDR reservoir as well?

Yes sir. And the Ca side had some calcium precipitate out which cannot be good for a pump either.

Anyone had troubles with Part 2 Fritz settling out solids???

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’m not familiar with Fritz 2 part dosing, I am a big fan of the John Guest fitting mod that replaces the flexible 6mm OD x 4mm ID tubing that Neptune provides With standard 1/4” RO tubing. This mod provides a leak free connection to the pump heads. A bunch of us have done this mod with great results.

Take a look at this thread for the leak free John Guest fitting mod...

DB4C858D-5322-401B-91EF-402C0D93F649.jpeg

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Checked my connections and one was loose. Don’t know yet if that was only problem but a good start. Thank you. I will change my fittings, factory ones are cheap. Appreciate the info! Perfect.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’m not familiar with Fritz 2 part dosing, I am a big fan of the John Guest fitting mod that replaces the flexible 6mm OD x 4mm ID tubing that Neptune provides With standard 1/4” RO tubing. This mod provides a leak free connection to the pump heads. A bunch of us have done this mod with great results.

Take a look at this thread for the leak free John Guest fitting mod...

DB4C858D-5322-401B-91EF-402C0D93F649.jpeg
I actually tried this and ended up having to go back to the cheap Neptune fittings. I could never get it air tight due to the fittings not being able to screw on far enough without modifying the DOS? Maybe I was doing something wrong......seemed pretty self explanatory though.

Actually just read the link....looks like some people cut off the plastic nubs. That makes me nervous lol.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually tried this and ended up having to go back to the cheap Neptune fittings. I could never get it air tight due to the fittings not being able to screw on far enough without modifying the DOS? Maybe I was doing something wrong......seemed pretty self explanatory though.

Actually just read the link....looks like some people cut off the plastic nubs. That makes me nervous lol.

While I cut the nubs off on my DOS, there is a way that you can do this mod without cutting off the nubs... Insert the RO tubing into the quick connector first making sure the tubing is fully seated, then screw the fitting in. Make sure to use Teflon paste on the threads.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the thread where people talk about their success with this mod without having to cut the nubs off...

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the thread where people talk about their success with this mod without having to cut the nubs off...

I might have to give it a try again......I still have the connectors. Not looking forward to swapping out the tubing........again lol.

lactose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I cut the nubs off on my DOS, there is a way that you can do this mod without cutting off the nubs... Insert the RO tubing into the quick connector first making sure the tubing is fully seated, then screw the fitting in. Make sure to use Teflon paste on the threads.
Also, as a data point. The nubs are on the replaceable head and not the Dos itself. So totally reversible (buying a new head).

OP
OP
RedSea500MaxS

RedSea500MaxS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you tightened up the loose fitting, did that solve your air leak problem on your right side pump? Using RO tubing is for those of us that have done the John Guest fitting mod that I mentioned above.

It DID! Thank you. My tank tech that installed DOS did not tighten 1 of the 6 fittings....viola the Part 2 Ca side connected to pump head. Fixed, CA back to 430 and all is well, your the best!

I also ordered John Guest fittings and RO hose. Might as well fix the issue once and for all. Still reading up on nub issue??????? I am an engineer and did a lot of hydraulics, so should be self explanatory once I get it ripped open. Thanks Again.

Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, as a data point. The nubs are on the replaceable head and not the Dos itself. So totally reversible (buying a new head).
That is a good point...the heads aren't that expensive either.

DIAZ REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched out the hose from the dos to ddr and so far seems to have a good seal. I found that this hose was not sealing good causing air leaks

Attachments

• CD4675FA-0A6A-4A87-B3C9-468DB12204A6.jpeg
    CD4675FA-0A6A-4A87-B3C9-468DB12204A6.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 23
Back