Best Dosing lines for Neptune Dose - Silicone?

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i’ve been using 2 Neptune Dose units to dose triton and also ato water. A couple times i found they were sucking air because the dosing hose that comes with them seems to compress on the connectors to the dose and become loose. That and the lines also became loose on the dosing container.

At one point I was dosing only one part out of three.

N0w i check this regularly but its a pain. That and I like the idea of having color coded lines like the silicone ones you can get from brs and others.

Any thoughts on pros cons. Does the silicone work well? It seems like it may be very compressible so attaching to the dose hose holder at the dosing point might need some care? Like attaching them to acrylic tube ends or something?

Any advise?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i’ve been using 2 Neptune Dose units to dose triton and also ato water. A couple times i found they were sucking air because the dosing hose that comes with them seems to compress on the connectors to the dose and become loose. That and the lines also became loose on the dosing container.

N0w i check this regularly but its a pain. That and I like the idea of having color coded lines like the silicone ones you can get from brs and others.

Any thoughts on pros cons. Does the silicone work well? It seems like it may be very compressible so attaching to the dose hose holder at the dosing point might need some care? Like attaching them to acrylic tube ends or something?

Any advise?
If me I'd go with silicone, I use different brand dosing pump , but with silicone tubing, I can use 3/16 Ridgid tubing(1/2" long pieces) so no clogging more flow, compared to typical fittings, more flow to all plastic tubing of any kind

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also played around with this and ended up going silicone as well. You have to take a bit more care getting it hooked up, but once its there I have had little to no issues with it. Good Luck with your mini upgrade!!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been usIng dark blue silicone airline which mostly works fine. I do have 1/4” John guest adapters and I’ll switch to black RO tubing eventually.

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with the tubing they provide while hooking it up to a ddr. I converted both my dos pumps to use push to connect 1/4" fittings and I use regular 1/4" RO tubing now.

I saw this option as well and looks interesting. That wont connect to my dosing container but could change that up. Nice to know the options.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I made the conversion to rodi with JG fittings from freshwatersystems.com and its worked flawless. I used a fresh razor to cut off the nipple right below the threads and used a bit of teflon tape. Been going strong for almost 6 months... highly recommend this mod.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any advise?
One trick is do. Is dab a little crazy glue on any silicone to 3/16 Ridgid tubing fittings. Never a leak and will uninstall. When needed.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the conversion to rodi with JG fittings from freshwatersystems.com and its worked flawless. I used a fresh razor to cut off the nipple right below the threads and used a bit of teflon tape. Been going strong for almost 6 months... highly recommend this mod.

I plan to do the same, though you don’t have to cut off the small hose barb.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I plan to do the same, though you don’t have to cut off the small hose barb.
I read somewhere that if you leave it you run the risk of the tubing not pushing into the fitting all the way. I did it as a precaution. You probably dont need to though! Good luck!

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I cut the nubs off as well. I’ve posted this a bunch of times but here it is again along with a picture of my mod...

Here is a Neptune forums link to the John Guest fitting mod for the DOS. Follow the link in post #3 from the poster Wiretech who originally came up with this fix.

If you do this mod, be sure to use Teflon paste (Plasto Joint Stik or Rectorseal) on the threads of the DOS nozzle threads for a leak free seal.

F2ECBEDF-BB21-496E-B021-F4B21484D27D.jpeg

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the John Guest connectors. I made the conversion over 6 months ago and haven't had any air in the tubing since. I stuck with the stock Neptune clear tubing, but I soaked it in near boiling water for about 5 minutes and then stretched it out across the room to remove all the kinks. You definitely need to cut the nub off the DOS fitting to make the John Guest fittings connect properly.

IMG_7363.jpg

IMG_7379.jpg

OP
OP
bar|none

bar|none

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good way to splice silicone tubing to ro/di tubing?

Maybe stretch silicon over with some crazy glue? I’ll do a few experiments.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read somewhere that if you leave it you run the risk of the tubing not pushing into the fitting all the way. I did it as a precaution. You probably dont need to though! Good luck!

I’ll keep an eye out for that.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I cut the nubs off as well. I’ve posted this a bunch of times but here it is again along with a picture of my mod...

Here is a Neptune forums link to the John Guest fitting mod for the DOS. Follow the link in post #3 from the poster Wiretech who originally came up with this fix.

If you do this mod, be sure to use Teflon paste (Plasto Joint Stik or Rectorseal) on the threads of the DOS nozzle threads for a leak free seal.

F2ECBEDF-BB21-496E-B021-F4B21484D27D.jpeg

I do this but don't cut the nubs - I connect the RO tubing first then screw on the connector.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do this but don't cut the nubs - I connect the RO tubing first then screw on the connector.

Were you able to fully screw the JG fitting all the way on? I did it the other way around. I fully screwed on the JG fitting first. When I tried seating the RO tubing all the way into the quick connect, I found the nubs got in the way and would not fully seat so I cut them off. Also, I had to liberally apply Plasto-Joint-Stik onto the threads. When I first did the mod, I didn’t put enough on and had some air leakage..

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back