Help please with this light unit … thank you.

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening all. I could do with some help with lighting. I have attached the PAR map for a TMC ilumenaire + 900. It hangs over my new Red Sea G2 250 and the tank is the ‘optimum size’ for the unit according to TMC. The tank is only 4 months old and so I have made the beginner’s mistake of trying to add a few SPS frags half way up and some zoa frags at the bottom of the tank. I have been fiddling with adjusting the 3 channels. The SPS corals have not progressed much. The zoas have started to grow. Late in the evening I now have the white channel set at only 30% and the blue and colours at around 80-86%. The zoas look spectacular with those numbers. So, maybe I should use the evening settings for the daytime?? Do corals really need white light? Does the light unit give out too much white light if dialled up for SPS? Am I bleaching the SPS corals? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you.

D0BAB417-4729-4B6F-ADA5-C29CB5E6448B.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not believing the par map provided, but if it is accurate that light is punching out too much par for many coral down to the lower half of the tank. I bought a par meter to get real answers, and you will want one if you want answers more useful than mine. :) Lets see if anyone else has experience with TMC ilumenaire + 900?

Melting Heat Wave GIF

OP
OP
peterhos

peterhos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kris. If the numbers turn out to be accurate then their recommendation of 75% on all channels still comes out at around 60o for top/centre if my maths is correct. As you say, far too much? I will give the manufacturer a call today. Oddly I have very little algae …

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back