Help please

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is quite low but my Ca is perfect. Tested twice because i thought there must be a mistake. How to fix without raising calcium? I'm on day 2 of a blackout with only corals in tank right now. Not sure why ammonia is up.
20210712_010504.jpg

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk is quite low but my Ca is perfect. Tested twice because i thought there must be a mistake. How to fix without raising calcium? I'm on day 2 of a blackout with only corals in tank right now. Not sure why ammonia is up.
20210712_010504.jpg

20210712_010504.jpg
I'm using redsea test kit

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry one more thing. If I use baking soda it will somewhat lower pH and if I use baked baking soda it says it will have a substantially higher pH. So if I just wanted to raise the pH a little can I do half baking soda and half baked baking soda? Mix them together in rodi to make a solution and dose it slowly?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALK of 7 is what NSW is, it's not that low FYI.

Most like to keep it in the middle for a little wiggle room of around 8. I personally keep my tank at 7 to 7.5.

Sodium bicarb yes has a small PH lowering effect, but at the amount your adding, you probably won't even notice the slight lowering of PH.

Curious though, what have you been adding for 2 part?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry one more thing. If I use baking soda it will somewhat lower pH and if I use baked baking soda it says it will have a substantially higher pH. So if I just wanted to raise the pH a little can I do half baking soda and half baked baking soda? Mix them together in rodi to make a solution and dose it slowly?

Yes, but that's that's generally a waste of time.

The pH drop of bicarbonate is very small, and the rise with carbonate is not as much as most people want. :)

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Most like to keep it in the middle for a little wiggle room of around 8. I personally keep my tank at 7 to 7.5.

Sodium bicarb yes has a small PH lowering effect, but at the amount your adding, you probably won't even notice the slight lowering of PH.

I don't add anything.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be a typo?

No kit should recommend alk as low as 4 dKH.

What is NSW? I've always had good range numbers and never had to dose so I'm learning.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back