Help, Pleaseeeeeeee

nanook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up the other day with brown spots in two of the corners in my FOWLR tank. At first I thought it was just some dirt in the sand and would dissipate over time. But now it is starting to spread. I did a little research and I think it is brown algae (diatoms). I don't really know how to get rid of it without harming the other algae in the tank. I'm on day 10 of a start up, salinity is 8.0, ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are 0. I got really eager and put 2 yellow tail damsels in it. They are doing fine. I don't know how to download photos or I would send a picture. Working on that though. Please help or am I just being paranoid.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PH can't be 0. But it looks like your other parameters are good. Though a nitrate of 0 in that new of a tank with fish is....um....fishie. What other algae are you worried about? Macro? How is your clean up crew? They should make quick work of diatoms.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are only on day 10 of a new startup I would not panic. Most new tanks go through a stage of "algae ugliness" as they go through the cycle. Most of the time this clears up as a clean up crew is added and normal maintenance begins to be done. I think it will clear up pretty quickly.

Oh, and congratulations on the new tank. Hope you have great success with it. Good luck.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking for myself I would not be overly concerned about the spots with a tank that young.
I assume you mean pH is 8.0 SU...salinity...I hope it is between 1.020 and 1.025 s.g.
With NH4, NO2, NO3 all at non-detect I suspect your cycle had not started yet.

That said with you just adding the damsels it will start very soon if not already.
At this point I would not do anything other than monitor until the cycle is complete.
The brown spots may dissipated on their own as the tank matures.

Once that is done you can address the brown spots if still around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nanook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have a clean up crew, all I have is live rock, live sand, bio balls and a skimmer should I get some snails or a crab? If so what type.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have a clean up crew, all I have is live rock, live sand, bio balls and a skimmer should I get some snails or a crab? If so what type.

No CUC yet.
If I were you I would do nothing at all until the cycle is complete as anything you put in now will not do well acclimating to a tank in mid-cycle.

OP
OP
N

nanook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I am new and don't know a lot. Thought I would figure it out as I went along. Then this came on me and I kind of freaked out. Thanks again for the advice and support you guys are great. Sorry for being a nube.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't appologize, we were all there at some point. Learn and ask away, we are here to help.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask away....the only dumb question is the one not asked that becomes a problem.
I am still learning too....

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What your seeing is more than likely a Diatom bloom, and you'll get the algae bloom more than likely also. Not to worry, once your cycle is complete you will be adding your Clean Up Crew, of which those snails will take care of the algae, the diatoms will go away by themselves.
Wipe down the glass whenever its needed, theres no reason to look at the stuff there, and no reason you can't wipe it down.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah. As the others have said, it's just diatoms. The first stage of algae growth in the tank. It will eventually clear up... then you'll start seeing the other stuff. You will always have some for of algae in your tank. It's unavoidable, from my experience anyway. The yellowtail damsels are pretty. That was the first fish I got when I started my tank back in April. Yellowtails are peaceful and although you will hear people say damsels are awful, The yellowtails are rather easy going compared to other species of the damsel family. Mine gets along just fine with my clowns, blennie, firefish, and everything else. Welcome to the forums and good luck with your tank!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 93 42.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 110 49.8%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.2%
Back