Help plumbing. Used set up

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Hey how would I plumb the return with flexible hosing... I bought this used so I’m trying to piece it back together

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big box stores have something called SpaFlex. It is like a flexible PVC tubing. You can glue PVC fittings to it just like regular PVC.

Your picture is showing the overflow plumbing. That would work best with PVC. You will need to cut of the old union on the other side (unless you can get another union that is compatible). Then just a 90 and some hard PVC and you are good.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big box stores have something called SpaFlex. It is like a flexible PVC tubing. You can glue PVC fittings to it just like regular PVC.

Your picture is showing the overflow plumbing. That would work best with PVC. You will need to cut of the old union on the other side (unless you can get another union that is compatible). Then just a 90 and some hard PVC and you are good.
So i talked with the previous owner. The pipe on the right is the return. But the one on the left is a gravity drain is plumb that into the sump with the SpaFlex?

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get another pic with the skimmer out of the way. And also a pic of what the overflow looks like? That would help. :)

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i talked with the previous owner. The pipe on the right is the plumbing. But the one on the left is a gravity drain is plumb that into the sump with the SpaFlex?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 30

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure which pipe is the one that has the black lock line on it? Is it the one that has not fittings right now?

Also are you submersing your pump in the sump?

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to make sure which pipe is the one that has the black lock line on it? Is it the one that has not fittings right now?

Also are you submersing your pump in the sump?
The one with the lock line is the on with fittings. The return pump is already in there ready to be plumbed to that.. I just need a straight piece.. it’s a cor-20 the one with no fittings is the gravity drain

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cor 20 is 3/4" for the output. There is a reducer on the tank side of the union. Is it going from 1" to 3/4"? Can you unscrew the union from the reducer or is it glued in?

Sorry for all of the questions I am trying to get that ugly bend out of the equation, it is going to create a ton of head not mention is looks terribad.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cor 20 is 3/4" for the output. There is a reducer on the tank side of the union. Is it going from 1" to 3/4"? Can you unscrew the union from the reducer or is it glued in?

Sorry for all of the questions I am trying to get that ugly bend out of the equation, it is going to create a ton of head not mention is looks terribad.
No the plumbing coming out of cor20 is 1-1/4 and I believe so and that came right out of the bulkhead

image.jpg
He had them shoved up there and just siliconed around

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG yikes. Well that makes things easier. :)

The COR comes complete with all the fittings necessary for most aquarium configurations (0.75″ output, 1.0″ input). But we’ve also included a 1.25” union for the output so you can connect the pump in a manner that will result in the least amount of head loss. Plumb your main return-line in 1.25″ and get the full potential of the COR pump – as much as 50% or more flow!

Whelp I see what they did there.

So the pipe that you are holding is what size?

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the plumbing coming out of cor20 is 1-1/4 and I believe so and that came right out of the bulkhead
OMG yikes. Well that makes things easier. :)

Whelp I see what they did there.

So the pipe that you are holding is what size?
1” or 3/4” I’m so confused how he did this. I’ve plumbed one tank before but it was to a diy sump so it was simple..

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is definitely interesting. I find his plumbing to be overly complicated.

I think that if you want this to go back together they way that he had it you need to turn the sump around so that the pump is on the other side. It should go together the way he had it originally.

If I am correct this is probably the simpliest solution.

Let me know.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI you can glue those pieces into the bulkhead with PVC cement. He has unions so getting them apart isn't going to be an issue. I am not sure why he used silicone to try to seal the joint.

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes this is definitely interesting. I find his plumbing to be overly complicated.

I think that if you want this to go back together they way that he had it you need to turn the sump around so that the pump is on the other side. It should go together the way he had it originally.

Let me know.
God no. I want something much simpler and better

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Let me know.
What I’m most confused with is how he had the return plumbed into the sump.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I’m most confused with is how he had the return plumbed into the sump.
Let's not go there. :p

Do you want to re-plumb this to make it cleaner? Need to know what size the pipe you pulled out of the bulkhead is? You can measure it across the circle that should give the answer. If the bulkhead is 3/4" then it makes the most sense to use the orginal piece that came with the Cor that is 3/4". Do you have any of the Cor's pieces?

OP
OP
Areeflover

Areeflover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's not go there. :p

Do you want to re-plumb this to make it cleaner? Need to know what size the pipe you pulled out of the bulkhead is? You can measure it across the circle that should give the answer. If the bulkhead is 3/4" then it makes the most sense to use the orginal piece that came with the Cor that is 3/4". Do you have any of the Cor's pieces?
Yes I want to replumb to make it cleaner.. and it’s 1”, and no I don’t have any of the cor pieces

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok for the return you are going to have to angle it between or over the protien skimmer. It will be simple. Push everything together at first so that you can see if you got it right and then glue it.

At the bulkhead get a 90 degree elbow that will reduce down from 1 1/4" to 1". I got mine from Home Depot. Cut off the union as close as you can to the union on the plumbing piece for the Cor. You will need a straight slip to adapt to the 1 1/4" piece coming across. Somewhere on the straight piece coming across cut the line and put in a union. This should clean up the return.

The drain. I would use a 90 and turn the 90 toward the wall and then use spa flex for your straight run to the over the top of the sump then a downward 90 with hard PVC into the sump.

That should give a nice clean look, and pull out a lot of the head impediments.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back