HELP Possibly dying RBTA

HukTmgReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have had this bubble too for about a month or two now and he has been doing great up until recently. Before a couple days ago he had found his spot and our clowns had just finally starting hosting it. He started moving from his usual spot about a day or so ago and went up to the wave maker and return pump. Tonight we noticed that he was almost completely closed up and there was a white string coming from him. We immediately started freaking out and now we don’t know if he’s sick or dying. I’ve attached some pictures. Someone please help as we are first time anemone parents!!!

59175C8C-4781-4D1C-A705-1FB32319EA19.jpeg 76F6DBE0-DBD4-4242-BFB1-B466FCE1ED15.jpeg

Ding2daDong

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Sorry to hear. It does looked stressed and unhappy. Once they move it means they were not happy where they were for some reason. Flow, lighting, you name it. Once it releases stuff from it's mouth it's on deaths door, most likely. For now the only thing I can think of is to try and not allow the clownfish touch it and leave it alone. Make sure it doesn't go wandering into a powerhead. Just monitor and check all your water parameters to make sure everything is in line. Hopefully it finds a spot it likes and heals. Let us know what you do and the outcome so people can learn.

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely not happy but it is impossible to say why knowing so little.
In general anemones require high light and medium flow. Is it getting that? How old is the tank? inhabitants? size? water parameters (actual numbers not good)? When and what was the last thing done or added to the tank?
Any information you can think of could be helpful.

OP
OP
H

HukTmgReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no! Sorry to hear. It does looked stressed and unhappy. Once they move it means they were not happy where they were for some reason. Flow, lighting, you name it. Once it releases stuff from it's mouth it's on deaths door, most likely. For now the only thing I can think of is to try and not allow the clownfish touch it and leave it alone. Make sure it doesn't go wandering into a powerhead. Just monitor and check all your water parameters to make sure everything is in line. Hopefully it finds a spot it likes and heals. Let us know what you do and the outcome so people can learn.
The second picture on the thread was when we took him out of the tank and quarantined him. He was pretty upset that we had moved him im sure. After reading a bunch of other threads we came to the conclusion that he was probably just purging. We put him back in and he seems to be doing fine I do believe he was getting frustrated with our clown fish hosting him. It might’ve been a little bit too much for such a small nem to handle so he moved. That’s our assumption anyway!

OP
OP
H

HukTmgReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is definitely not happy but it is impossible to say why knowing so little.
In general anemones require high light and medium flow. Is it getting that? How old is the tank? inhabitants? size? water parameters (actual numbers not good)? When and what was the last thing done or added to the tank?
Any information you can think of could be helpful.
We have an Ai Prime HD and a wave maker in the tank. The tank is almost 9 months old and the nem has been in there for about 2 months and was doing great the whole time. Up until about 3 days ago when the fish started hosting him. We do believe that was the main cause of him moving to isolate himself. He’s pretty small and for two clowns to be hosting was probably too much for the little guy! He seems to be doing great this morning after a little isolation.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it releases stuff from it's mouth it's on deaths door, most likely.

This is a rather generic and untrue statement. "Stuff" coming from a nems mouth could be one of a number of things that do not indicate imminent death.

OP
OP
H

HukTmgReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a rather generic and untrue statement. "Stuff" coming from a nems mouth could be one of a number of things that do not indicate imminent death.
Do you happen to know what it could’ve been? I hope we aren’t freaking out over poop lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back