Help!! Powder Blue tang!!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like your tank has either ich or velvet. Either way, I highly advise QT'ing all your fish, treating them with copper and going fallow in the DT for 76 days.

If you like, I can move this thread into the fish disease forum for more attention.
X2. Sorry I missed this.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the rest. You'll want to get all the fish into QT and treat with copper. Leave the display fallow (fishless) for 76 days especially if you want to keep tangs like acanthurus tangs (powder brown and others like him).

Cary Hover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a 50% water change, wait and see. Seen many YouTube videos and freshwater dips, garlic, copper, all that hardly seems to work. Medicate only as a last resort. Just because one fish got sick doesn't mean they all will. I lost a powder blue tang, yellow eye tang and one or two other fish due to ick when my son stressed out his powder blue catching it and putting it into my 450 gallon mixed reef tank. All I could do was water changes, wait and see. I did get a 3,000.00 UV that will kill free floating ICK parasites. The remaining tangs, angels, wrasses, foxface, cardinals, etc survived rather well.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a 50% water change, wait and see. Seen many YouTube videos and freshwater dips, garlic, copper, all that hardly seems to work. Medicate only as a last resort. Just because one fish got sick doesn't mean they all will. I lost a powder blue tang, yellow eye tang and one or two other fish due to ick when my son stressed out his powder blue catching it and putting it into my 450 gallon mixed reef tank. All I could do was water changes, wait and see. I did get a 3,000.00 UV that will kill free floating ICK parasites. The remaining tangs, angels, wrasses, foxface, cardinals, etc survived rather well.
Your situation is definitely the exception and not the rule. Also it will flat out fail if velvet is a component here.

In addition, a 450 gallon system is vastly different than the much smaller closed loop systems most readers have.

Last edited:

sanchoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic a bit, but I have not seen, in person,a reefer successfully keeping a powder brown tang alive for more than 1 year. I tried over 10 years ago, died within 3 months. The browns are hyper sensitive

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic a bit, but I have not seen, in person,a reefer successfully keeping a powder brown tang alive for more than 1 year. I tried over 10 years ago, died within 3 months. The browns are hyper sensitive

I had one for over 10 years before Katrina killed it. LFS I know has had one in their DT for at least 5 years now.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 156 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 89 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.5%
Back