Help!! Powder Blue tang!!

KTaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help!! My powder brown tang that I have only had for 3 days is laying down and now on his back but still breathing. What do I do? Is it to late for him?

Last edited:
OP
OP
KTaylor

KTaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone else left in the tank look great! However, we did just remove a queen angel that looked like it had ich....

Rory's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures help if you can get them

#reefsquad may be able to help, but they'll need more information

Do you QT your fish? If the angel really did have ICH then everyone in your tank has it.

OP
OP
KTaylor

KTaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No....we did not QT for very long. Can you suggest way to treat? I have copper and the ich treatment. Do I just treat the whole tank?

image.jpg

image.jpg

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the need for pictures. Have you noticed any odd behavior such as scratching, head twitching, swimming into the flow of a powerhead, hiding excessively? Same questions apply to the angel as well. You say the angel had ich, how quickly did it come on? Is it being treated or did he pass? Did it look like large grains of salt or more like fine sugar?

OP
OP
KTaylor

KTaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No to all of the above questions concerning behavior for the tang. As for the angel she was fine I noticed a few fine sugar dots. Only because they stood out when the light hit her just right. I just noticed the spots today on her. I think she had 3-4 spots.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any odd behavior? Was your angel covered in spots or more of some here and there? What was your qt procedure?

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is highly recommended that copper treatment be done in a QT, as it is not reef safe and rock/substrate can absorb the copper then release it at a later time making it difficult to keep in within therapeutic levels. You will also need the corresponding test kit for the copper. What brand do you have?

OP
OP
KTaylor

KTaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is highly recommended that copper treatment be done in a QT, as it is not reef safe and rock/substrate can absorb the copper then release it at a later time making it difficult to keep in within therapeutic levels. You will also need the corresponding test kit for the copper. What brand do you have?

Okay. We started the copper in the QT Tank. The brand is cupramine. I do have the test kit as well

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the angel she was fine I noticed a few fine sugar dots. Only because they stood out when the light hit her just right.

Did you notice any pale or discolored patches? How is the angel now? Maybe someone else will have better inclination but I am very suspicious of velvet in this situation.

Can you get some pictures of the angel for us please?

OP
OP
KTaylor

KTaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any odd behavior? Was your angel covered in spots or more of some here and there? What was your qt procedure?
Just a few here and there. To be honest we have never QT it's more of an long acclimate period.

OP
OP
KTaylor

KTaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice any pale or discolored patches? How is the angel now? Maybe someone else will have better inclination but I am very suspicious of velvet in this situation.
No pale or discoloration for the angel. She is acting fine, eating, swimming.. I just noticed spots.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going off the assumption that you have ich or velvet it would be best if you could move the tang to QT. He might also benefit from a freshwater dip, here's a link to help you with that. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/freshwater-dip.248898/ That will help give him some temporary relief. The therapeutic range for cupramine is 0.35-0.5 and you will want to ramp it up slowly. You can use either seachem or salifert's test kit for cupramine, I'm assuming that's what you have? Also here are links for ich, velvet, and some pic IDs that might help you some.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ich-cryptocaryon-irritans.191226/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/velvet-amyloodinium-ocellatum.217570/
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-disease-index-pictorial-guide.285708/

@Humblefish @melypr1985 @Brew12

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also keep in mind that if you have either ich or velvet, all your fish have been exposed and will need to be put in QT for copper treatment and the display left fallow for 76 days in order to completely get rid of the parasite.

Hopefully one of the big wigs will pop in soon to help you out.

OP
OP
KTaylor

KTaylor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting for my husband to get home to be able to check parameters. Tang is gone.... I will be ding my best to figure out what happened so it doesn't happen again. I have also learned my lesson to QT. Thank you for your responses.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting for my husband to get home to be able to check parameters. Tang is gone.... I will be ding my best to figure out what happened so it doesn't happen again. I have also learned my lesson to QT. Thank you for your responses.
I'm sorry you lost your fish. Those are truly a beautiful species.

You are going to need to keep a very close eye on the rest of your fish. Without knowing why the Tang passed it is safe to say that the rest of the fish in your system have been exposed to the same pathogen. You need to be ready to treat everything in the tank when you notice warning signs. I doubt this was Ich, it typically doesn't kill this quickly. That would be more symptomatic of Marine Velvet which could have been the powdery spots you observed.

These parasites tend to work on open swimming fish like Tangs and Angels before they impact fish with thicker slime coats like clowns or blennies.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like your tank has either ich or velvet. Either way, I highly advise QT'ing all your fish, treating them with copper and going fallow in the DT for 76 days.

If you like, I can move this thread into the fish disease forum for more attention.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back