Help - Programming Apex nutrient export mode after feed cycle

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I am currently in the progress of setting up a new build with a Apex system & 2 x WAV power heads.

I plan to use the standard Feed cycle to use with AFS and also a wired button that will so act like a Virtual feed cycle (Vfeed) for when I wish to feed outside the standard time say with frozen foods.

Ideally I would like to program WAV power heads to go into a "Nutrient export mode" something like the "Trestles" mode say 30-45min after the feed cycle to stir everything up.

Just wondering if anyone out there does this and if they can share their programming.

I haven't played around to much with it but figure I would do a Profile say called "Nutrient" and have this come on after a feed cycle or the Vfeed cycle with a defer

If FeedA 030 Then Nutrient
if Vfeed 030 then Nutrient

Can assistance would be greatly appreciated.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're on the right track, but here are the details you'll need to get there.

I assume when you start the Feed cycle, you first want the WAVs and other pumps to turn Off, then after a few minutes start the Nutrient profile, then eventually return to the normal WAV schedule. To do this, you'll need two virtual outputs; the vFeed to initiate and control turning off pumps, and vFeedNutrient to act as the additional timer to run the Nutrient profile. The following example will turn off the WAVs, return pump, and skimmer for 5 minutes. After 4:58, the Nutrient timer will turn On and run for 45 minutes to control the WAVs (I gave it a 2 second overlap so there's time to trigger it before vFeed turns Off).

[vFeed]
Set OFF
If Button CLOSED Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then ON
Min Time 005:00 Then ON

[vFeedNutrient]
Set OFF
If Output vFeed = ON Then ON
Defer 004:58 Then ON
Min Time 045:00 Then ON

[WAV] -- place the code below into the Advanced tab of the WAV:
If Output vFeed = ON Then OFF
If Output vFeedNutrient = ON Then Nutrient

[ReturnPump]
Fallback ON
Set ON

[Skimmer]
Fallback OFF
Set ON
Defer 003:00 Then ON

Be sure your FeedA timer is set to no more than 300 seconds (5 minutes) under the Misc Setup screen, otherwise it will throw off the timings since vFeed is the thing that controls the whole process. Just think of the FeedA timer as nothing more than the physical button you press to start vFeed. It only needs to be on for a second or two to trigger the vFeed output.

Here's the final sequence of events when you either click FeedA or press your physical feeding button:

00:00 vFeed turns ON. Return pump, skimmer, and WAVs turn OFF. The 5 minute Min Time timer begins countdown.
04:58 vFeedNutrient turns ON. WAVs run the Nutrient profile. The 45 minute Min Time timer begins countdown.
05:00 vFeed turns OFF due to the Min Time timer's expiration. Return pump turns ON. Skimmer begins the 3 minute Defer timer.
08:00 Skimmer turns ON due to the Defer 003:00 timer's expiration.
49:58 vFeedNutrient turns OFF due to the Min Time timer's expiration. WAVs return to their normal schedule.

Be sure to read my Apex Feed Cycles tutorial for more details:

And my whole series of Apex tutorials can be found here:

OP
OP
ReefSentinel

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're on the right track, but here are the details you'll need to get there.

I assume when you start the Feed cycle, you first want the WAVs and other pumps to turn Off, then after a few minutes start the Nutrient profile, then eventually return to the normal WAV schedule. To do this, you'll need two virtual outputs; the vFeed to initiate and control turning off pumps, and vFeedNutrient to act as the additional timer to run the Nutrient profile. The following example will turn off the WAVs, return pump, and skimmer for 5 minutes. After 4:58, the Nutrient timer will turn On and run for 45 minutes to control the WAVs (I gave it a 2 second overlap so there's time to trigger it before vFeed turns Off).

[vFeed]
Set OFF
If Button CLOSED Then ON
If FeedA 000 Then ON
Min Time 005:00 Then ON

[vFeedNutrient]
Set OFF
If Output vFeed = ON Then ON
Defer 004:58 Then ON
Min Time 045:00 Then ON

[WAV] -- place the code below into the Advanced tab of the WAV:
If Output vFeedNutrient = ON Then Nutrient

[ReturnPump]
Fallback ON
Set ON

[Skimmer]
Fallback OFF
Set ON
Defer 003:00 Then ON

Be sure your FeedA timer is set to no more than 300 seconds (5 minutes) under the Misc Setup screen, otherwise it will throw off the timings since vFeed is the thing that controls the whole process. Just think of the FeedA timer as nothing more than the physical button you press to start vFeed. It only needs to be on for a second or two to trigger the vFeed output.

Here's the final sequence of events when you either click FeedA or press your physical feeding button:

00:00 vFeed turns ON. Return pump, skimmer, and WAVs turn OFF. The 5 minute Min Time timer begins countdown.
04:58 vFeedNutrient turns ON. WAVs run the Nutrient profile. The 45 minute Min Time timer begins countdown.
05:00 vFeed turns OFF due to the Min Time timer's expiration. Return pump turns ON. Skimmer begins the 3 minute Defer timer.
08:00 Skimmer turns ON due to the Defer 003:00 timer's expiration.
49:58 vFeedNutrient turns OFF due to the Min Time timer's expiration. WAVs return to their normal schedule.

Be sure to read my Apex Feed Cycles tutorial for more details:

And my whole series of Apex tutorials can be found here:
Thanks SuncrestReef,

Greatly appreciate your knowledge and assistance with this one, also thank you for your time with the tutorials these a great read I am sure I will read these a few times until the logic sinks in. ;)

Your assumption is correct, plan to run the setup as follows then have the Return pump and Wav's return back to their standard program.

If FeedA or Vfeed are on then the following

- Return pump to drop to the min % or off, still to confirm actual % required to maintain min overflow.
- Skimmer to be off during FeedA & Vfeed cycle and come back 5min before Nutrient export mode starts, not 100% on timing length as wish to keep skimmer off for approx. 20min to run any uneaten food through refugium then skimmer will come back on and work while for Nutrient export mode.

Thanks again.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back