HELP rearing larval maxi mini anemones

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some HELP!
So 3 nights ago in our 70G cube tank (connected to a 14Biocube that share a common 30G sump aprox 110G total system volume) we had a MASS spawning event from our 21 maxi mini carpet anemones. no we have had them spawn in the tank before, but never to the extent of this event. The entire system, both tanks and sump, were completely milky white with sperm and eggs floating everywhere, and we could watch as the different males and females took turns shooting there gametes into the water column every 15 minutes or so for around 2-3 hours.
At this point, and ever since, we have been scrambling across the internet and forums looking for information on anyone who has ever tried raising the larval anemones, which almost zero luck. We were able to find a single thread on the WAMAS forum where a member describes how he collected gametes from his anemones at work at a public aquarium (different genus and species; his was U. columbiana and U. crassicornis) and was raising them, but the thread goes silent with no follow up. but so far that thread has had the most info that ive been able to find on any kind of anemone rearing.
Here is a link to that thread (hope that links to outside forums are OK, please let me know if not): https://wamas.org/forums/topic/4316...PVERpGpSKGmRbgktqtwke5vMEhbqzsCEbquly19tLllvM
So following those "instructions" we decided to turn off all filtration and pumps for about 1-2 hours to let the sperm and eggs mix and then collected as many of the eggs as we could and moved them over into a small 2G tank with a mini heater and an air pump for oxygenation and water movement. Over the following 2 days until now the amount of visible eggs in the water column decreased majorly, and we think we have about 3-5 small baby anemones attached to the bottom of the glass (it was totally clean when we started the tank and now there are small tan specs that look almost like a polyp). We have a microscope in the mail on its way here so we can get a better view of what we hope are baby nems.
But now comes the real hard part, keeping them alive and healthy!
I did a large water change this morning with tank water from the 70Cube going into the 2G to refresh it and keep the WC good, i plan on doing a ~75% WC every 2 days or so as needed.
Feedings: What kind of foods can i give to these small polyps? I was thinking either something like reef chili or rotifers? And also, do the baby polyps already have zoox or is that something they need to acquire somehow from the water? Ive been suggested to clip a small tentacle from the parents and grind it up or possibly use the Alagen Zoox in a bottle product.

With almost zero lit out there about the subject I'm here pleading for help from anyone who may have info or might be able to put me in contact with someone who does.
Thanks- Brandon

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#reefsquad a little help please.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: that is so awesome!

but I know nothing.... @Amoo !!!!!

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some HELP!
So 3 nights ago in our 70G cube tank (connected to a 14Biocube that share a common 30G sump aprox 110G total system volume) we had a MASS spawning event from our 21 maxi mini carpet anemones. no we have had them spawn in the tank before, but never to the extent of this event. The entire system, both tanks and sump, were completely milky white with sperm and eggs floating everywhere, and we could watch as the different males and females took turns shooting there gametes into the water column every 15 minutes or so for around 2-3 hours.
At this point, and ever since, we have been scrambling across the internet and forums looking for information on anyone who has ever tried raising the larval anemones, which almost zero luck. We were able to find a single thread on the WAMAS forum where a member describes how he collected gametes from his anemones at work at a public aquarium (different genus and species; his was U. columbiana and U. crassicornis) and was raising them, but the thread goes silent with no follow up. but so far that thread has had the most info that ive been able to find on any kind of anemone rearing.
Here is a link to that thread (hope that links to outside forums are OK, please let me know if not): https://wamas.org/forums/topic/4316...PVERpGpSKGmRbgktqtwke5vMEhbqzsCEbquly19tLllvM
So following those "instructions" we decided to turn off all filtration and pumps for about 1-2 hours to let the sperm and eggs mix and then collected as many of the eggs as we could and moved them over into a small 2G tank with a mini heater and an air pump for oxygenation and water movement. Over the following 2 days until now the amount of visible eggs in the water column decreased majorly, and we think we have about 3-5 small baby anemones attached to the bottom of the glass (it was totally clean when we started the tank and now there are small tan specs that look almost like a polyp). We have a microscope in the mail on its way here so we can get a better view of what we hope are baby nems.
But now comes the real hard part, keeping them alive and healthy!
I did a large water change this morning with tank water from the 70Cube going into the 2G to refresh it and keep the WC good, i plan on doing a ~75% WC every 2 days or so as needed.
Feedings: What kind of foods can i give to these small polyps? I was thinking either something like reef chili or rotifers? And also, do the baby polyps already have zoox or is that something they need to acquire somehow from the water? Ive been suggested to clip a small tentacle from the parents and grind it up or possibly use the Alagen Zoox in a bottle product.

With almost zero lit out there about the subject I'm here pleading for help from anyone who may have info or might be able to put me in contact with someone who does.
Thanks- Brandon
Wow, this is amazing! Good luck, I hope you get a ton of cool baby anemones :D

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back