How to fix low ph at night?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stuckita
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Stuckita

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 23, 2023
Messages
177
Reaction score
53
Location
Nova Scotia
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PH during the day will be around 8.1. However at night I’m dropping to around 7.6. I’m currently dosing aqua forest 3 part, running a skimmer and have lots of surface agitation.

Opening the windows doesn’t help much.

Tank is a waterbox 35.2, not sure if a refugium is possible in an AIO.

What would you do?
 
I would try not to worry about it. My tank pH gets lower than I would like. But I’ve been reefing for 30 years and it’s OK. You’ll get faster hard coral growth at a higher pH but you can still get good growth when it’s lower. Focus on the control of salinity and alkalinity.
 
I would try not to worry about it. My tank pH gets lower than I would like. But I’ve been reefing for 30 years and it’s OK. You’ll get faster hard coral growth at a higher pH but you can still get good growth when it’s lower. Focus on the control of salinity and alkalinity.

Yeah eh? I have been getting growth but just figured the swings weren’t too good for it!

Speaking of alk, just realized my doser has been clogged for 1.5 days - fixed now!
 
Over the years, I’ve tried just about everything to fix low pH at night, other than a very large refugee with a very bright light. The only truly effective thing in my experience was a CO2 scrubber. Best set up in my opinion is to have it with a bypass valve, so the skimmer only draws air through it at night, the media last twice as long this way and the pH will be more stable overall.
 
I've been working on an experiment on my tank for the past few days on this topic. I wanted to evaluate my growth with a stable pH and try to start my lighting period at or near 8.3.

Here's what it's looking like so far

ph.png


I am dosing Kalkwasser only during the lights out period and then dosing ESV at three intervals, the first interval 1 hour before lights on, and again twice more 6 hours apart (8am, 2pm and 8pm).

I'm also using a Co2 scrubber to help out. I don't know if this will improve my growth, but I wanted to see for myself.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new