Help Red Sea aminos “overdose”

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I got home from work I noticed my auto doser was on and dosing Red Sea ab plus constantly in my tank, luckily i only keep a a few weeks worth in the bottle at a time, but it still dosed over 100 ml into my tank and my regular dose is 15 ml, all my corals were closed and my tank was so yellow and hazey I could barely see anything, I did a 10 gallon water change with the backup water I had on hand, what else can I do? I have a refugium i do have no pox for emergency situations and wondering if I should start dosing this, it’s a 90 gallon with a 20 gallon sump with a total water volume of 100 gallons with rock and sand, I don’t want any negative affects from this so please tell me what to do

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
before you drop nopox in there or any other chemical I would test the water to see what effect it has had...perhaps the phosphates and such aren't as bad as you might think. Definitely make up some more water to change out though as most things in excess are going to have a negative effect. If you are really concerned by the numbers and think this is going to spark a major crash level event change out like 90% of the water fixing a problem of a massive overdose in this way is usually better than trying to go slow.

kenbennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I would do a massive water change. 6.6x the normal dose amount won't be diluted much by a 10% water change. Can you do several 25% water changes? 50%?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are unable to get that much filtered water produced quickly, bottled water from the store is simple. Purified water from the store would be best.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are unable to get that much filtered water produced quickly, bottled water from the store is simple. Purified water from the store would be best.
Your LFS may be cheap option for premixed or just RO/DI in a hurry

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back