Help removing chaeto from live rock

Thjhiggins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
When I set up my tank, I purchased premium uncured live rock. I did a great job curing it without killing much of the amazing small corals, multiple kinds of macro Algae (some I have never seen before like red moss). Anyway, I added a ball of chaeto directly into the tank but with the wavemaker and fish, it spread to the live rock. I am CONSTANTLY picking it off, brushing it off with a toothbrush and going crazy because within a week chaeto is covering every piece of rock. Does anyone know of a fish, cran or snail that will help clean the chaeto from the rock but generally leave all the other wanted and beautiful macros alone???? Here is a pic after I had just removed it all last week, Thanks to all!!!!

20210910_004540.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know of a specific fish, because most vegetarians will eat the lot. I tried adding some micro algae to my tank and it disappeared in seconds

And welcome as well!

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
When I set up my tank, I purchased premium uncured live rock. I did a great job curing it without killing much of the amazing small corals, multiple kinds of macro Algae (some I have never seen before like red moss). Anyway, I added a ball of chaeto directly into the tank but with the wavemaker and fish, it spread to the live rock. I am CONSTANTLY picking it off, brushing it off with a toothbrush and going crazy because within a week chaeto is covering every piece of rock. Does anyone know of a fish, cran or snail that will help clean the chaeto from the rock but generally leave all the other wanted and beautiful macros alone???? Here is a pic after I had just removed it all last week, Thanks to all!!!!

20210910_004540.jpg
Use the metal straw trick. It really works agains anything.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, the product Vibrant will turn it to mush in a few weeks but it will do that to all macro algae and will effect pods, I know first hand lol.

An urchin is also a great option, they eat everything.

Good luck and welcome to R2R
ZomboMeme 18082021210917.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

20210910_004540.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined.

Agree with posts you already have that your other macroalgaes more likely to be impacted before chaeto which is tough - and in my opinion ugly which maybe is why most only use it when they have no other macroalgaes, putting it in refugium sump area out of sight.
Use the metal straw trick. It really works agains anything.

@clownfish81 "Metal straw trick" ... ? please share details - do you mean use like an airline tube (or attached to an airline tube so you can suck algae & water) but because its hard it lets you scrape better? Or do you mean something else? Searching this website for "metal straw trick" the only thread R2R found was this post.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back