HELP! Rescuing a linckia starfish

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I found that my blue linckia starfish was missing one leg and another was partly gone. It looks like the starfish may be weak, so I moved it to my QT which is now acting as a rescue tank. My question for the group is what and how should I feed a starfish and what else can I do to help it recover?

Thanks in advance.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately its probably too late to save. Blue linkias are extremely temperamental and rarely survive in home aquariums. Once they start disintegrating its usually a death sentence.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your display tank? Linkia need a mature tank with a pretty good algae film to feed upon. If your tank is fairly new, that's probably why it's not doing well.

Chances are your QT tank is an even worse environment for it, as QT tanks usually tend to be "cleaner" than the DT. If that's your situation, I'd move it back to give it the best chance. But yeah, if it's that far gone already, the chance of it surviving is very small.

Also, try not to expose it to air when moving it. Keep it submerged at all times if possible.

I've never seen a linkia being supplementally fed. In fact, it's hard to see what they eat at all. Mine cruises the waterline of my tank 99% of the time, and there's very little visible there for him to eat. But he is surviving on something.

IMG_20210421_125409615~2.jpg

OP
OP
M

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your display tank? Linkia need a mature tank with a pretty good algae film to feed upon. If your tank is fairly new, that's probably why it's not doing well.

Chances are your QT tank is an even worse environment for it, as QT tanks usually tend to be "cleaner" than the DT. If that's your situation, I'd move it back to give it the best chance. But yeah, if it's that far gone already, the chance of it surviving is very small.

Also, try not to expose it to air when moving it. Keep it submerged at all times if possible.

I've never seen a linkia being supplementally fed. In fact, it's hard to see what they eat at all. Mine cruises the waterline of my tank 99% of the time, and there's very little visible there for him to eat. But he is surviving on something.

IMG_20210421_125409615~2.jpg
Thanks. My tank is around 2 years old and added the linckia a year ago. I figured it just scrounged around in the rocks, sand, etc. My plan B was to put it back in the tank in a protected “box” where it will get flow and put sand at the bottom. I can always feed a brine shrimp into the container.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back