HELP! Return pump has died

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have a relatively new (< 1 year old) Syncra 12.0 pump. It stopped working today. The pump vibrates a lot but the impeller is not turning properly. It kind of jumps and vibrates but down not turn. I took it apart and cleaned everything, but it is still having the same problem. This video shows it pretty well.

Any idea what to try next to fix it?

John

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything stuck down inside the block? Check to make sure it's clear of any obstructions.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New impeller will do the trick or anew pump.
Check online BRS or premium aquatics carry the pumps, they might have the impellers too.
You can have it overnight and have it tomorrow.

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New impeller will do the trick or anew pump.
Check online BRS or premium aquatics carry the pumps, they might have the impellers too.
You can have it overnight and have it tomorrow.
I have to say that the impeller looks perfectly fine. It's only 9 months old, so it's hard to understand what would cause it to fail like this.

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnetic piece seems to be in perfect shape, but the piece in this picture seems to be worn in the center:
975xDzRbnemwWerWXamobQ3b75IIozgwqqQWsjVP0267SCtU5J9K5-fjHr4RRAfY0LvqrxIRljBGQ1SyfFESMoMJe-zzzWmWMPgkiIF_HmUbK5TLoGM17o4T2YmENHfwop3_V6wNjgRneqh7U6KuSY1QDjkXuml2eK0jetspKZkXM2MnhHdyZKppsFPZUUE5bbalSQAy_mmnDhw1JmoRgpv7-rOWhKNAYULmuvJyzlS6_mPbmpIkrZRVnO22v888iTBvbZ__dwYKZxhqHx7srORPkBdn4EhaOSoZx8QRuB4NPOHT3LwmOo_ADk5CacJ_6pZXw1AEL6FDS320KM6kSW5hUCbOuuUq8tH6wg_LQUbu7lpo2KCCfma3gSsb45XgiFnZDkc362qbKGQYldScF8PMPlUEloSYwXQ93AQq5ux2tMAowz2aSf6SibTVwfUK4WEibgZXwYzWleTbEaV-p4AgpWtN9sSbd7MgqQln34RmYNz96aWULQQNohyyjq3daLhlbVK-cz8YAVGD6PtHYMLz_moSSokMvm_QF2cgLt1nu-01qsYYDYJO19hzanCJa1s4oSgIeaheU-QJL5xyKvX5_Y4Z8Ufn_L5FScU-Khw2mnj_iga5Rg=w692-h922-no

Does you still have the rubber on both ends of the shaft?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't it still under warranty? I'd call your retailer or Sicce directly.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that the impeller looks perfectly fine. It's only 9 months old, so it's hard to understand what would cause it to fail like this.

I hear you but do understand it's the only part that is mechanical on this pump.
Either that or the electrical load inside the pump is done.
You can try figure out what it is or call around mean while your tank is without return pump.
Tank should be fine for a day or so as you have your pumps running in your tank but it won't get any oxygen from the skimmer and longer than a day ain't good for your corals.
It's always good to have a backup pump for return and skimmer in this hobby, it's kinda like a spare tire ;)

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you but do understand it's the only part that is mechanical on this pump.
Either that or the electrical load inside the pump is done.
You can try figure out what it is or call around mean while your tank is without return pump.
Tank should be fine for a day or so as you have your pumps running in your tank but it won't get any oxygen from the skimmer and longer than a day ain't good for your corals.
It's always good to have a backup pump for return and skimmer in this hobby, it's kinda like a spare tire ;)
Thanks Diesel. I think I'll order a new pump and repair this one too. There is too much at stake. I moved a heater into my DT and the powerheads are running. I'll to a 10% water change per day until I'm up and running again. Does that sound adequate?

Back