Help saving birdnest

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jé123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jé123

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 11, 2019
Messages
66
Reaction score
9
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a birdnest coral which have been growing a lot (I did a post previously wanting to get more colour out of it and it did colour up quite nicely eventually). I just have one problem, it’s losing polyps at the base! This area is completely shaded that might explain why, should I leave it like that? Also under the birdnest it’s pretty white, it’s not getting any light too (it’s growing like a plateau I would say). What should I do? Also, I consistently remove Xenia coral and it never touches the base.

E57EEE43-39E3-4345-BFEA-49B27693A358.jpeg 3A91AB58-D566-4274-A5BE-DF15D30E3778.jpeg F8C25B05-18F7-4B88-A475-B24B19434C4F.jpeg
 
Hello, I have a birdnest coral which have been growing a lot (I did a post previously wanting to get more colour out of it and it did colour up quite nicely eventually). I just have one problem, it’s losing polyps at the base! This area is completely shaded that might explain why, should I leave it like that? Also under the birdnest it’s pretty white, it’s not getting any light too (it’s growing like a plateau I would say). What should I do? Also, I consistently remove Xenia coral and it never touches the base.

E57EEE43-39E3-4345-BFEA-49B27693A358.jpeg 3A91AB58-D566-4274-A5BE-DF15D30E3778.jpeg F8C25B05-18F7-4B88-A475-B24B19434C4F.jpeg
Several options. Trim the top so more light gets through, add more lighting to reduce shadowing or move to a different area in the tank where it can get more light.
 
Several options. Trim the top so more light gets through, add more lighting to reduce shadowing or move to a different area in the tank where it can get more light.

it’s already at the top of my aquarium,I don’t really know where else to place it :/

image.jpg
 
it’s already at the top of my aquarium,I don’t really know where else to place it :/

image.jpg
So that narrows it down to 2 options. :)
 
So that narrows it down to 2 options. :)

I’ve never trimmed any coral :D and I don’t think I can reduce shadowing (I only have a single light) is there anything else? Do you think it will stop «dying » where the polyps are getting enough light?
 
Could be wrong, but I think that's natural as the coral grows it shades and blocks flow for the polyps below. From your pictures, it doesnt look much different than the green variety I have. The underneath is pale but there and the top facing are all bright and extended.
 
I’ve never trimmed any coral :D and I don’t think I can reduce shadowing (I only have a single light) is there anything else? Do you think it will stop «dying » where the polyps are getting enough light?
Unfortunately, no.
 
Could be wrong, but I think that's natural as the coral grows it shades and blocks flow for the polyps below. From your pictures, it doesnt look much different than the green variety I have. The underneath is pale but there and the top facing are all bright and extended.

I hope you are right
 
I hope you are right
Agree, it won’t kill the coral. It will just not have growth underneath. The part of the coral in the light will still grow and flourish.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new