Help seahorse

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey y’all idk what’s going on with my female seahorse! The male and baby are perfelfty fine and eating! The female looks like this
So unfortunately my female has passed away. I have had the pair for 1.5 months. The male had babies 3 weeks ago and is doing great. The female passed away today while I was at school. Eating all the time . Today I found it half white on upper half and half brown on bottom half. I removed it becuase it was a small tank. Need to test water tomorrow. Fish and seahorse are great! One baby is still alive as well .

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unfortunately my female has passed away. I have had the pair for 1.5 months. The male had babies 3 weeks ago and is doing great. The female passed away today while I was at school. Eating all the time . Today I found it half white on upper half and half brown on bottom half. I removed it becuase it was a small tank. Need to test water tomorrow. Fish and seahorse are great! One baby is still alive as well .
Maybe stress. Still look what other's say.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe stress. Still look what other's say.
Thank you, I was thinking stress or old age. This female was fully grown and wild caught, it is a possibility she was at the further end of her life stage? I don’t know what the coloring being half and half can indicate!

docforestal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank, tank mates (fish and coral - some corals sting)
what species seahorse?
s.g. ammonia, nitrates, ph, temp (often seahorse do well a little cooler 74-76)

they are quite sensitive to water issues, but also feeding is tricky, they have short guts and need to be fed mysis gut loaded or soaked in stuff with omegas/fats/vitamins 3-4 times a day as they can die from poor nutrition.
the wild caught if a little stressed may succumb to disease as well.
when stressed they go pale like you describe.
feeding the babies if a newly born often needs to be every few hours to keep up their nutrition - been a while but i used phyto gut loaded rotifers and brine gut loaded with rotifers for mid age, and Piscine mysis and or hikari mysis as a source for adults.
I had one die on me (years ago) with perfect tank parameters and the other 4 were fine long term, necropsy i found a renal abscess and i cultured it (im a geek) and found vibrio - they were wild caught.
Hope your others do well
in future consider captive bred; i recommend seahorsesavvy.com as a possiblity

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey man I appreciate all the information. My tank size is 10 gallon Fluval flex with one nassarius snail and one Spotted mandarin goby. Only coral I have in the tank are GORGONIONs multiple!!! Ammonia is 0, nitrate is .05-.1. Salinity is 1.021 PH fluctuates between 7.9-8.2. Tempature is consistently 76.6. I have seen it go as high as 77.8 and as low as 74.7. Currently I have been feeding the tank live bbs and I dose in Selcon to help give these little bbs a nutritious boost to benefit the seahorses. The baby has been alive for 3 weeks now and is the only one out of 5 to survive!

docforestal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's usually recommended having a bigger tank for seahorses, partly as is easier to maintain water quality
I would recommend higher specific gravity 1.024-1.026 as ideal for reef creatures and maybe keeping pH closer to 8.1-8.3 more consistently.
gorgs should be fine.
if your adult horse is getting baby brine and is a bigger species, mysis would be good to add
I also admit to not caring for horses for 12 years now so would value others maybe more experienced as i am no expert.

I might recommend the seahorsesavvy website as she has care recommendations for her seahorses and that might help too.
cheers

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's usually recommended having a bigger tank for seahorses, partly as is easier to maintain water quality
I would recommend higher specific gravity 1.024-1.026 as ideal for reef creatures and maybe keeping pH closer to 8.1-8.3 more consistently.
gorgs should be fine.
if your adult horse is getting baby brine and is a bigger species, mysis would be good to add
I also admit to not caring for horses for 12 years now so would value others maybe more experienced as i am no expert.

I might recommend the seahorsesavvy website as she has care recommendations for her seahorses and that might help too.
cheers
My bad brother I never identified these are dwarf seahorses :)!!! Only had one pair in the tank

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just starting up my H. erectic SH tank. never tried dwarfs but the temp might be to high, SH are very prone to bac. infections.
for larger Sh max is 73.
just a thought.
good luck!
That is a good point! Is it possible one got a bacteria infection and the other didn’t? I have the temp that range because I had baby seahorses

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back