Help Sealing Back Chamber Leak.

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I wanted to reach out and see what the fellow reefers thought about sealing a back chamber leak. I currently have a used waterbox 35.1 x and I noticed after filling it with water then draining the back chamber that water is coming from one of the two outside chambers into the drain chamber. There are two chambers on the outside for the filter floss that then waterfall into the back middle chamber to the drain pipes and down to the sump. There appears to be a break in the seal between the bottom of the right chamber and the middle one causing water to flow into there once I empty the middle one but not the outer chambers. What would you use to seal that? would it just be silicone or is there a special grade silicone used to seal it in reef tanks? It is not a structural issue but rather an annoyance when I need to detach the waterlines down to the sump and water just keeps coming through the holes down into my cabinet space. Thanks!

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco or Petsmart all carry those little tubes of aquarium silicone if you only need a small bit.
Yes, that's perfect! thank you. ITs annoying when you try and drain the tank and water just keeps coming out of the tank and onto the floor when I detach the pluming.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even some flex seal tape would work. I have read where a few people have used it for just about the same thing. haven't read any negatives from using it either.

OP
OP
W

whitasm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even some flex seal tape would work. I have read where a few people have used it for just about the same thing. haven't read any negatives from using it either.
That’s interesting. I think silicone would be my best route as it’s emptied right now and I tbh n it’s just coming from a small slit in the bottom between the chambers.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back