Help Selecting Shelf vs. Encrusting

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’re new to the coral game and I’m trying to understand how to pick shelf vs. encrusting corals for our new 200g build. This is especially challenging with all of the stupid coral names out there.

My understanding is that monti capricornis for instance will form a shelf, while certain others just encrust a rock. So when you’re looking at a frag on an online fish store or ebay named “Montipora Horney Red Ranger” how can one tell how it will actually grow out?

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montis have a ton of different growth forms. If the name is of an actual cultivated variety, you should be able to google for pictures. But if not you just have to ask.

Zakery Murray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ask the seller which type it is, ask for a picture of the mother colony. If you get a picture of the mother colony your frag will most likely look like that in some shape or another.

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed this is a problem and wish all stores also carried the scientific name. In the case of monti’s I would say visually if it looks like a chip on the frag plug it is a cap. If it looks like something melted on a frag plug it will be mostly encrusters, if it is growing up like an acropora it will be a digiata. While super confusing initially this is a part of the learning that goes into reef keeping. You will become a amateur marine biologist with the amount of studying to be done. Good luck shopping and happy reefing.

OP
OP
ariellemermaid

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a monti from an SPS “pack” that appears to be mostly melting on the frag plug but there’s also an edge that looks like a chip. So frustrating sellers don’t list species but to be fair, it’s highly likely they don’t know either.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 82.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back