Help setting up RODI unit outside with 30 gallon storage

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping to see how people have RODI units set up outside. I want to place it all outside and store the water in a large container so I can just get it when I need it. I don't want it directly plumbed indoors into my tank for risk of flood/break/any issues.
My plumber will set up the actual unit into the water line, but wanted to see how people have the units and storage

Thank in advance

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well cant get much easier than the way I have mine. I have two rubbermaid 30 gal trashcans and I have my rodi plumbed to the first one for freshwater with an auto-shutoff float switch. Then I use a pump to move the water to the 2nd can that also has wheels for mixing saltwater. Then when it is time for a water change I wheel the salt mix to the back door and run my hose to the tank with a pump.
I do have to watch the temp so that it doesn't freeze but that is rarely an issue in the Houston area. My rodi is mounted to a board that sits against the house. I can disconnect it and move it to the garage if it gets too cold but it generally lives out there. It is pretty shaded so I do not expect it to get too hot this summer. I like this option because if there is ever a leak in the rodi it is not in the house. Still kind of a temp solution but it works.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a chiller on your tank?
Reason I ask, is I have seen quite a few outside set ups, yet, no one ever mentioned how they cool the water down if the ambient temp is in the upper 80's-90's or even 100.
I assume by floating bags of ice cubes?

OP
OP
MCooper

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a chiller on your tank?
Reason I ask, is I have seen quite a few outside set ups, yet, no one ever mentioned how they cool the water down if the ambient temp is in the upper 80's-90's or even 100.
I assume by floating bags of ice cubes?

No chiller. This water will be brought indoors for a few days then added to the ATO storage area, so not concerned about the temp.

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could find a spot in the shade to put it in I don't see any issues assuming it's tightly sealed. It's worth a shot if that's what you want. Put some palm trees around it lol

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Los Angeles here. I put the refugium, RO/DI holding tank, salt mixing tank, ATO and Genesis water change tanks all outside! It auto changes 1G every 12 hours, so temperature is irrelevant.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the refugium with Genesis tanks hanging on the side. 30G salt mixing tank right under it. I've since plumbed the RO/DI tank (60G rain barrel) with a pump inside to fill this mixing tank. PVC pipe and Brute trash cans are cheap!

IMG_1126.JPG

OP
OP
MCooper

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I need to find a water jug that can stay outside to hold the water. Roughly 30-50 gallons. Also, build a shade box I guess for the RODI unit, or anyone know where can buy something that can do this?

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my stuff here:

http://www.plasticwatertanks.com/c/4rqtc/plastic-tanks

A lot of people use Brute trash cans. Just make sure you read the recycling number on the container to make certain its food safe. Black rain barrels work great too because no light for algae growth outside.

Oh. And nice shepherd in your profile pic.

IMG_1466.JPG

Last edited:

airwaterice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well cant get much easier than the way I have mine. I have two rubbermaid 30 gal trashcans and I have my rodi plumbed to the first one for freshwater with an auto-shutoff float switch. Then I use a pump to move the water to the 2nd can that also has wheels for mixing saltwater. Then when it is time for a water change I wheel the salt mix to the back door and run my hose to the tank with a pump.
I do have to watch the temp so that it doesn't freeze but that is rarely an issue in the Houston area. My rodi is mounted to a board that sits against the house. I can disconnect it and move it to the garage if it gets too cold but it generally lives out there. It is pretty shaded so I do not expect it to get too hot this summer. I like this option because if there is ever a leak in the rodi it is not in the house. Still kind of a temp solution but it works.
Just make sure your di resin stays out of the sunlight as much as possible

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get one of those electrical outdoor boxes and see if the rodi unit fits in that

xREEFINaintEZx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good poibt on resin and sun. when I was doing lots of upgrades to my rodi alot of guys were saying you can melt the membrane. I don't know how he's going to plumb water to the unit but make sure that won't be an issue

OP
OP
MCooper

MCooper

MCooper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will actually just be connecting to the hose adapter when needed and then bring the unit inside. Too hot and sunny to keep it outdoors
Will find a water storage unit that can be kept outside, but not the unit itself!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back